7.3L what the hell do I do?

Billy

Reaction score
I just purchased a 94 E350 7.3L non turbo non powerstroke Shuttle Bus with a C-6 trans and 200,000 miles on it. A reman. block was installed 30,000 miles ago but all the trimmings have 200,000 miles.
It smokes a little at low speeds, hard to start when cold, smokes when I let off the pedal at high speed and sputters a bit. If I have my foot buried in the floor board, she doesn't smoke or sputter. I need to bring this thing up to working condition so I can tow and go long distances. I don't know where to start.

thanks
Bill:thanks:confused:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill,

Start with the basics first, change air filter and fuel filter. Get some fuel additive (Stanadyne etc..) and way overdose the tank, preferrably a low tank and then top off with fresh fuel. Check your glow plug harness and glow plugs to make sure that they are working. I'm not an IDI guy but start here and lets see if we can get her to start cold and possibly minimize the smoke issue. We may have to move onto injectors and fuel delivery if they too have the full 200K on them.

Mike

Billy

Reaction score
94 7.3 idi smoker!

Thanks Mike! I need to get this thing going.

Billy:thanks:

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mike is right on... Thats where I would start.... I think a few tanks of fuel additive would be the trick.. This stuff takes time to work.. But I would keep the fuel filters changed... If you have buildups in your tank, the fuel additive could send it down the line to your filter... Esp with high doses... I know a guy at power service that said you can tripple treat fuel without any harmful effects....

If that does not clean it up... injectors would probably be the next bet....

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I stated above, I'm not an IDI guy but give'r a go with those suggestions. Report back to us if it works. If not we'll see if we can generate more ideas.

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Color of smoke can also reveal where potential problems exist.
Pay attention to color, does it smoke when you start it cold and it sits idleing?
Blue smoke at start up typically = internal oil leak into the combustion chamber(s)
White smoke can mean coolant leaks
black smoke can mean too much fuel, cylinders not firing or not enough air, check the intake and be sure it's getting as much air as possible.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
First thing I would do is change the fuel filter and fill the new on with "Sea Foam" available at most parts houses around US $5 can.
Buy 2 - 1for the filter and the other for the tank. This will give the fuel system a good ennema!
Then purchase either Stanadyne fuel tret or Diesel Kleen{grey or white jug} at Wally world and dump 1 gal in the tank, fill up and then 2-4 ozs at each fill up.

The return lines are also culprits for draining back fuel when shut down....a complete kit includes hoses/"T's"/clamps and costs about US$30 from DIS....available online

GP's need to be checked with a DVM not a test light......If you are comfortable using a DVM

As far as the GP's ...Forks are notorious for having ****** Autolite or champion gp's....get rid of them and go to Auto Zone or similiar parts house and order Beru/Motorcraft ZD9 glow plugs....less than US$9 ea.
Autolites and Champ will swell and break causing a train wreck!

Next you will need to chek the GP relay as the wiring is crappy at best. FORK uses 2 8ga wires and there is a 7 pin cannon type plug on the right fender---prone to meltdown.
I can walk you thru the correction if this is a problem.

There's a start!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bout time geo, I was drowning here!!!!!!!!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Billy,

Ok as posted do the filters - you would be amazed at what they can do for you.

Everyone is right on with the additive, a good overdose does wonders for these mechanically injected fuel lubed injection pumps and injectors.

Now the sputters a bit when returning the idle says to me that the meter valve in the injection pump is complaining a bit - the over dose of additive should free that up a bit. It won't fix it but will make it last a ton of miles. key is keep using the additive with these IDI's they (fuel system) are lubed by the fuel.

Also check for wettness around the injector line caps, they are famous for leaking. If leaking there are 2 orings under each cap that will need to be replaced. Problem is the caps are made out of plastic and stretch over time so they should be replaced as well. Upside is they come as a kit from your local injection pump/diesel shop typically made by DIPACO. Here is some information I put together on this.

The pump and inj kit contains these items.

Spring clips/hose clamps
16 injector orings
8 copper washers
8 return line caps (4 straights - 4 right angle end/corner caps
6 feet of return line hose

The above is the normal return line kit contents but this kit also has

1 oring for injection pump inlet
1 large oring for injection pump to gear housing shaft seal
2 rubber seals for fuel filter head hard metal lines
1 rubber seal for injector pump hard metal line
3 new injection pump to gear bolts.

Kit part number is

DIPACO DPE73100 Pump and INJ Kit $40.68 plus tax at local diesel shop.

Now I listed the complete contents of each kit, you will notice there are rubber seals on the hard metal lines leading to and from filter head, these should not be overlooked as sources for air leaks as well.

Let us know how it goes...

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Argve,

I seem to remember you from TDS...

Hows goes the neighborhood... they still trying to stop you from parking your own truck in your driveway?

Good info there for Billy, thanks, hope you stick around.

Make yourself at home.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dieselmaster
Argve,

I seem to remember you from TDS...

Hows goes the neighborhood... they still trying to stop you from parking your own truck in your driveway?

Good info there for Billy, thanks, hope you stick around.

Make yourself at home.

Travis, YOU want to tell him you switched teams:eek: :D LOL

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Same world famous argve from TDS land.

Baaah... yeppers sure did...

Shipped The Enterprise out this weekend to a crazy dude down in 'Bama.

HOA and my right foot finally did The Enterprise in. The final straw was the star cracked pistons from the water injection (tons of water btw) and while it was down the HOA starting up again...

So I got me one of them thar Dodges with the Cummaparts in it... And loving every minute of it...

Still have an IDI sitting in the weeds out at a buddies place, need to do something with it. Either make a go cart out it or rip it apart and ebay engine and tranny.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Well at least you did the right thing and stayed with the diesel... If you had switched to a gasser....

Well that would almost be unforgivable. :D LOL