7.3l vs 6.5l vs 5.9l unbiased opinion

blackwater

Reaction score
I am looking for my first diesel. I am wondering everybody's honest opinion about all three trucks. I am very mechanically inclined. I need a truck for driving everyday and also hauling a livestock trailer with cattle when needed. I want to get a truck that I don't have to spend money upgrading with aftermarket accessories to get what I need. I am looking at late 80s to early 90s trucks due to price. What are pros and cons of each truck. I will also be driving in the mountians at times for camping and fishing.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They all have their advantages and disadvantages. The 5.9 will make you the most power for the least money, but parts can be expensive. The problem with most of them, is that they come in a Dodge. The 6.5, not as favorably viewed as the 7.3. The Trucks are good. Ford + IH, always a winner here.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cummins is a great engine, but I really don't like them wrapped in a Dodge. It's has serious aftermarket support, can give you great mileage (in a ton truck at least), and is reliable.

The 6.9/7.3 IDI are also great engines, and they're in a Ford wrapper. With a turbo, it will haul whatever you need. It won't win any speed records in the process though. Parts are cheap, it's reliable, and lots of help here with them. The mileage is average. The Ford truck it comes with is nice as well.LOL

Not a big fan of the 6.5 GM, but that's from other's experience, I've never owned or maintained one.

Heath

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.5 not bad if kept up but are known for busting cranks. Cummins is the best in my IMO but the wrapper is a disaster. 7.3/6.9 I've had little problems and it does what I need to do and I love how cheap they are to maintain.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Overall the Ford is definitely the best option. The Dodge has a weak frame and the Cummins while being a great motor is so stupid loud IMO which is really sayin something when you compare it to how loud our old IDI's are... Find yourself a well sorted out 88-94 7.3IDI with either an aftermarket turbo or a factory turbo (in 93-94) with a ZF-5 manual. My preference would be to get a crew cab F350 with the D60 front (especially after I just spent forever helping my neighbor rebuild the TTB D50 in his 89 F250...) Tough to beat a late-80's to early 90's F350 CC...

Black dawg

Reaction score
how much are you looking to spend?

In the 4-5k range, any dodge will be pretty beat down. the 6.5 has too many issues to ever sell one on anybody. You can get a pretty nice ford and have money left to turbo it for under 5k.

around here first gen dodges are generally 6k plus, second gen dodges go for 6k plus.
you can find a pretty nice 6.5 truck for under 5k, though manuals are fairly rare.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum where honesty is first. Mant here will tell you what you have been reading. But there is another option. Buy a Ford truck thats ahd a Cummins put in it. They are a very nice upgrade as some here have done it easily and runs great too. Staying with the idi engine is going th be the cheapest idea. Most every internal part of the 6.9 is the same part in the 7.3 engines. So finding a cam, crank or rods is simple and cheap. Only real differance in rods is the turbo engine has a bigger wrist pin size and can only be used in the turbo or non turbo 7.3 block. Aftermarket custom pistons can be made for the use of the turbo rods in the 6.9 engines too but that about $1000.00 for a set. A non turbo rod goes for arounf $45.00 all day long on ebay too. As posted above, a turbo really wakes up these idi engines. We usually recommend adding a set of new head gaskets and a set of ARP studs when a turbo is added. You do not have to do this but its long term insurance nothing is going to happen on the roda out of town. Many members are changing to an all aluminum radiator too. They cool so much better than the stock 3 or 4 row oem systems do. The Rodney Red is the best you can buy and it has 17 fins per inch. Some of the chainese imprts only have 12 fins per inch.. That will not keep the engines cool either. Many have tried but its not happening. Ask some questions. Lots of members with answers here.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
The Ford and the Dodge should both be good for hauling whatever you need. 6.5's will haul, but be VERY VERY VERY careful with the heat. You cook it once, you're done.

The Dodge(aka, prosthetic *****) is particularly popular for easy power and making a lot of noise.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Great thing about GM's is that the diesel was offered in a half ton since 79. And all the 4x4s had a solid front axle. I have had many 6.2's (which is a predessor to the 6.5 from 1982-1994) and they were great in a half ton if all you really need is a half ton. Without a turbo, they can be very reliable and they can achive the best mileage of all of them which is important these days. They are an idi engine and don't have big power but again, if you are not doing any heavy haul...they are great. 6.5 is a different story, turbo and electronics on these motors didn't go over well.
I don't have a GM anymore but I do love 6.9 and 7.3 trucks as they are very reliable. I just wanted to throw some good words out there for the 6.2. One weak link with both the 6.9/7.3 and 6.2/6.5 is that the DB2 injection pumps don't seem to last very long which is a pain in the ass. The cummins pumps (bosch) ran forever it seemed. Thats my favorite thing about the 5.9 for sure.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own all three makes.
The GM is the best all-around people hauler and commuter diesel. At one time they were plentiful. Not so anymore.
The Cummins. Noisy, but tougher than nails. Power mods are stupid easy. downside happens when you have to tear into it. Internal parts will eat your wallet like it's candy. Mileage is pretty good too.
The IH is considered the SBC of the light diesel world. Broad powerband, reasonable mileage, motors are reasonably plentiful parts are reasonably cheap in comparison to a Cummins. There was a time when the IH/Ford combination dominated the diesel truck market with good reason.
imho.....I wouldn't be adverse to driving a Cummins powered Ford truck. If it was the last truck I will build, that would be it. In the meantime, I find IH powered Fords in cheap abundance where I can still run them like a rented mule.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've read with a few mods to the chevy 6.5 you'll have a reliable truck.
And with a 6.9/7.3 you just have to make sure the coolant has the right amount of scas to prevent caviation.
I have never rely researched cummins yet.

So I think the 6.9/7.3 is better for you bc you dont have to do anything to make it reliable (except maybe a coolant change).

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
They all have pros and cons. Just keep your eyes open for trucks in your price range and then check them out. I personally do not like GM products, and will never own one.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive driven both a 6.5(dads) and my 7.3 from a "drivers" pov the chevy has a nicer ride. But I think thets bc they have ifs which isnt good for offroading...but I'm not 100% on that.

Ok so then I think the 6.9 would prob be best for you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online

No members online now.