7.3L IDI Marine Engine

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that is re-powering his boat and would like to sell his MCA StarPower VBoss 270. For those not acquainted with MCA, it was the Marine Corporation of America, which was a division of Franklin Power Products, the "official" Navistar engine re-builder. MCA was sold to Brunswick Corporation (Mercury Outboards). This is a 270HP Turbocharged Fully Marinized 7.3L IDI which runs great, and has a fuel system and rebuilt turbocharger provided by Conestoga Diesel Injection. Asking price is $800, but all offers will be considered.
Contact Tim at (703) 965-0279

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My guess would be yes, sorta...

The marinized gassers I’ve seen, most of the marinizing would have to be removed to install in a vehicle.

Plus, part of a marine engine being able to get higher power is the cooling capacity of being able to use lake water to pull the heat out, either by passing it through the block directly, in what is called an open cooling system, or through a heat exchanger and having coolant in the block, but lake water running through the heat exchanger.... your cooling system doesn’t heat soak near as quickly as a truck using an air to coolant radiator.....

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i would be interested in everything to marinize an IDI, if someone were to buy the block.
even trade the turbo for a 093 kit.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can this be ran in a truck?

Replying to give a "bump" and I think that elusive marine pump is missing an advance circuit of some nature. I can't remember but noticed it missing in a picture. Not sure what that would do to responsiveness on the street (boat motors tend to stay at a single RPM for hours). Would also need street exhaust manifolds.

Jefff27

Reaction score
I would like to see some pics and a little more info. I have a Star pwer marine IDI now and always good to hear about one or have a spar. Forward me some info and I would be happy to take a look.

Jackson A Young

Reaction score
Is this still for sale I have the money now I am not fooling around with you send me a text message or call me about it asap. 9018012995. Thanks Alden Young...

Mahi-mahi mafia

Reaction score
Hello ! I just bought a boat in Mexico with this motor .. it needs help .. anyone out there with info, parts or complete engine please contact me !!!! Por favor !! Gracias

Specifically looking for a turbo!

Last edited:

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello ! I just bought a boat in Mexico with this motor .. it needs help .. anyone out there with info, parts or complete engine please contact me !!!! Por favor !! Gracias

Specifically looking for a turbo!

I would jump over to the regular 6.9/7.3 idi forum on this site. Lots of traffic over there and people willing to help.