7.3L IDI hypermax turbo

kleiner

Reaction score
Hey all. Wandering if anyone has any ideas on my 1994 Ford motorhome diesel. It’s got the 7.3L international IDI and I put a hypermax turbo on it. It doesn’t seem to be getting any more power and the exhaust temp is pretty high (1200) when putting on a load saying climbing highway hills. Also not showing much boost if any. Thoughts please.
Thanks Rick in Vernon British Columbia

Cracker

Reaction score
Did you ever find a solution to your issue?
I just finished installing the complete Pulse setup(w/intercooler and exhaust) and only getting 1-3psi@2300rpm. Pressure tested the system from the hat forwards and it will hold 20psi all day. Hook everything back up and test from the compressor and it will hold 20psi for 20-30 seconds and then leak down to zero in another 45seconds, leaking past the rings.
I am playing with fuel/timing but would think I would have more boost than what I am getting

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever find a solution to your issue?
I just finished installing the complete Pulse setup(w/intercooler and exhaust) and only getting 1-3psi@2300rpm. Pressure tested the system from the hat forwards and it will hold 20psi all day. Hook everything back up and test from the compressor and it will hold 20psi for 20-30 seconds and then leak down to zero in another 45seconds, leaking past the rings.
I am playing with fuel/timing but would think I would have more boost than what I am getting
Did you turn up the fuel to create more boost? They sort of go hand-in-hand so to speak. Also you need to be under load to produce boost. Even my PSDs won't put out much boost until they are under load, even then it's 15psi max (stock). Cruising along, level ground, steady thottle boost will drop to nearly zero which is normal.

Cracker

Reaction score
I had previously installed a Conastoga Diesel Baby Moose (which has a turbo tune) and Moose Mister injectors, but yes as part of the playing with it I turned it up 1 1/2 flats and made lots of black smoke with little provocation so I turned it down to 3/4 turn and it still smokes under throttle.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is your timing? Do you have a trailer you can tow or a few thousand lbs to put in the bed for testing purposes?

Also this might get more attention in the IDI section if it’s an IDI