7.3l GP system?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I ditched the 6.9l glow plug controller about 2 years ago, going to a push-button system. Since then, my glow plugs have gone out...just got done pulling them. I think they went out 'cause some idiot at a tire shop played with the button and inadvertantly burned them out.

In another thread, JD (jdkline) suggested that, instead of sticking with the push-button system, I install a controller/relay out of a 7.3l.

I haven't noticed anyone talking about major issues with the 7.3l controller...so, are they really that trouble-free? Is it worth it to spend the $140 that DIS wants for one?

Alternately, does anyone know of any 12 volt constant-duty plugs available? I seem to remember someone mentioning them on TDS a few years ago, but I have no idea where they were getting them from, how much they were, etc...

Thanks!

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
DAS sells the 12 volt contanst duty plugs.

When you ask is the 7.3 solid state controller that trouble free... well yes it is. The biggest thing that seems to bite guys in the butt concerning the controller is they don't really believe that dirty old nasty connections can effect it's operation. I mean after a few billion miles they are bound to need a good cleaning... And that's it in a nut shell. You can if pay close enough attention tell when you have one bad glow plug, you can also tell when there is two or more out with the solid state system. You just have to pay attention to the wts lamp on time closely.

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
GP Retro. Info.!

Hey Warden,

If you go to the tech. files for the IDI's at the top of the index page you will find my diagrams and text for the SS GP retro. for the 6.9L... It has made a new truck out of an old one for me. I did the conv. back in July (I think!) and so far this winter it's been great! It also gives the IH part number for the retro. kit.. It is a little pricey but, By the time you figure up the cost of the cont., new harness, and bullet type glow plugs. Your right in the same neighborhood!! I think it was worth it! Even though my conv. was not liked very well and didn't get a good reception at all over at TDS! I still like mine! Hope this helps!

Hoss and Black Dog.... :) :cool :smoke: ;burnout :peelout

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Now you can trim the resistor on the controller (solid state controller) so that you can run constant duty glow plugs just as if you had installed the normal everyday run of the mill 6 volt plugs.

Trimming = (in this sence) taking off material to increase the resistance. You do this by drilling a hole through the resistor to remove material thus increasing the resistance to current flow. It's an age old practice in the electronics world, used most commonly in wheat stone bridges (the thermostat on the wall at your house for example). But in that application you moving the lever or spinning the wheel/knob is trimming a resistor (aka potentiometer or POT as they are called).

Now you ask how much material should you remove in order to make this work... Don't know have not done it, but it can be done it's simple electronics theory. Myself I would just grab up all the glow plugs (8 of them - contant duty) and hook them up on the bench to a stock controller, then grab myself a battery wire it up to the controller. then I would probably start off with about a 1/8 inch drill bit and start blowing holes in the big zig zag resistor one hole at a time until I got a nice reddish glow off the glow plugs before the controller kicked off the circuit. It's a trial and error thing... I think I have an extra controller here at the house that if someone wanted to donate the glow plugs I could work with it until I got it figured out what size hole to drill to make things work. Then I would ship said glow plugs and trim resistor to them for install/final testing.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hoss, good article...do you by chance remember what the price was for the kit that IH sells?

$$'s tight, so if it's too pricy, I may forgoe this for a while...but, in the long run, this does sound like the way to go.

Travis, very good point re: the connections...reminds me of when I was working at West Marine and people had electrical issues that almost invariably were the result of corroded terminals. :)

Tristan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tim,
I think I remember the thread about the Constant Duty, weren't they made by LDM? I have seen them show up on ebay, but I am not coming up with any searching this AM.

Also FWIW, the SS system on my 87 has been great. Even the crappy autolite and champion that were in there when I bought the truck (for at least two years) weren't horribly distorted or burned off. Most of them must have still worked as well as she still started with no prolems. I would guess that I had one or two that were bad as my wait to start time became a bit longer with all new GPs.

;burnout

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sent DAS an E-mail trying to find out what the constant-duty plugs cost in U.S. dollars, and no repsonse yet...and I need the truck on Monday, so I guess I'm going to stick with Berus for now.

Also, it sounds like the 7.3l system is the way to go in the future, but according to a PM that Hoss sent, IH wants $310 for the kit...that's a bit too expensive for my blood right now, so I'm going to have to hold off. I do want to get bullet-type plugs and re-do the wiring, though...my GP wiring's got quite a bit of squirrel damage from when my uncle owned her...

{on edit} I take back the "going to have to hold off" part...I still haven't decided either way, but by the time I do the wiring, I may have spent almost full price sans the controller, so I may see if I can just scrounge up the $ and get the kit...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online