7.3IDI newbie with a lot of questions

Clemens Kruse

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a vintage chevy p30 motorhome with a transplanted 7.3IDI NA and an allison 545.

I was a silent reader for a long time and now I have a few questions.

1. there was a coolant heating radiator for the cabin connected. It came somewhere from the block, through the radiator and went back next to the oil fill in. (The red line Picture 1). Is it okay to connect it directly how it is now and add later on the heater in line with this again?

Later I want to add an espar diesel heater which should heat the hydronic system in the motorhome and the cooling system in the engine. How do I connect it the best way?

2. The guy who put the engine in used plumbing parts to extend the oil fill in. I took them off and put duck tape on it. The Oil fill in has a thread and the oil cap doesn´t fit. Where can I buy the insert to asdd an oil cap directly on the filler again?

3. Since it is a GM base I have the hydroboost brake system. I need an hydroboost steering pump.
(https://www.carpartsdiscount.com/power-steering-pump/chevrolet~p30.html?3593=477361) I figured already out that there is a bracket for it where I can cut out a part and then use it. Is it true? and If yes - where can I get it?

4. I know that the original configuration are 2 batteries in parallel. But this is a design that is 20 years old. Did anyone have success with using one high amp battery for starting?

That is it for now.. I'm really thankful for all help I can get. I drove this monster 1000 miles down from Portland to Orange County and I'm actually impressed how the 7.3IDI handles. I really want to keep the engine in this motorhome.

Thank you very much and best regards

Clemens

You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. I am a little confused with your question. Are talking about a heater that warms the engine in the winter months, or a heater that heats the cabin and makes the driver comfortable?

2 So you need an original oil fill cap for the original oil fill tube?

3. These engines did come with hydroboost on the original power steering pumps that came on these engines. It's really just a regular power steering pump with a special oil reservoir that has a extra fitting for the oil return line from the hydroboost. So if you need any brackets or a pump, just look around for an original idi truck in the junkyard and get the bracket/pump that you need. I want to say you can order the reservoir with the special fitting and put that on a regular powersteering pump and it will serve your needs, but not sure about that.

4. You can run one large battery. If it's in the summer, I have actually run just one regular size battery, and if your engine is in good shape, it will start right up with one battery. You do need something bigger when it gets cold though.

Clemens Kruse

Reaction score
Thank you.
to 1. It was a heater for the cabin. But I would like to connect the main cabin to the motorhome heating system. Is there a drawing or explanation how to connect an heat exchanger to the engine? Mainly to extract heat from the engine cooling and put heat back for heating up the engine in cold climate.

2. Yes, the original one, will this one fit? https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Fo...GS4MkRzL56yGR90qacSHb7v3xed2T4ehoC1b4QAvD_BwE

Thank you!