7.3idi frozen filter

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Hey! Yeah I figured out the issue. I have a widebody steel flatbed on my truck with a custom built headache rack built out of 2x4 rectangular tubing. I was having issues fueling up my truck because the side tank filler neck is fairly flat and it backs up easily. So I ran a flexible 2" diesel fuel line up into the back rack frame and out the side next to the driver side door. Well I found that the O ring seal on the cap broke in half at some point and rain and snow melt has been dribbling down my filler neck for some time now.

I pulled the filler neck and a quart of water dumped out of it, so assuming my tank is full of water.

I dropped the skid plate and disconnected everything from the tank. The tank strap bolts are seized up pretty good so I am trying to figure out how to get those out to drop and drain the tank... in 9 degree weather :D

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Hey! Yeah I figured out the issue. I have a widebody steel flatbed on my truck with a custom built headache rack built out of 2x4 rectangular tubing. I was having issues fueling up my truck because the side tank filler neck is fairly flat and it backs up easily. So I ran a flexible 2" diesel fuel line up into the back rack frame and out the side next to the driver side door. Well I found that the O ring seal on the cap broke in half at some point and rain and snow melt has been dribbling down my filler neck for some time now.

I pulled the filler neck and a quart of water dumped out of it, so assuming my tank is full of water.

I dropped the skid plate and disconnected everything from the tank. The tank strap bolts are seized up pretty good so I am trying to figure out how to get those out to drop and drain the tank... in 9 degree weather :D
I'm sorry. That doesn't sound like any fun no matter what the weather is like.:(

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Well, I got the fuel tank removed, drained and cleaned. the Fuel on top looked fairly clean, nice shade of green. Halfway down, the fuel turned to a milky yellow and there was a large amount of rust and metal chunks in the bottom of the tank. Drained and cleaned it all out as best I could, installed a new filler neck mounted to a plate under a hatch door on the flat bed, New vent line, new tank seal. Filled with diesel tank cleaner, anti gel, lubricants, and 8 gallons of fresh fuel. Also went ahead and removed the fuel filter and cleaned that out, reinstalled and refilled with fresh fuel and lubricants.

I found that my rear tank strap was rotted in half and the front was not far behind. I had to cut every, single, bolt to get the tank down, mid cross member is rotted through the middle so my new tank strap will have to mount to the flatbed cross beam (4" I beam).

We are getting hammered with an ice storm until mid day tomorrow. Going to try and get the old pig to run once it stops coming down.