7.3 swap.

Brody

Reaction score
I've been making progress. The truck runs and drives. I had to delete my abs pump since it was hitting the motor during install; the new lines I made to replace the ones that went to the abs pump all leak so I'm going to take it to a shop and let them bend me new lines. Other than that I need to finish figuring out my gauges and button up a few more things before I can call it done.
You must be registered for see images attach

Brody

Reaction score
I suppose I haven't taken very many pictures. The truck is on the road now and it drive's pretty decent. I still have a few things to button up like a couple leaking brake fittings and getting the driveshafts sorted out but the truck is pretty much 95% done at this point. My mystery transmission turned out to shift really nice and I did manage to get all my gauges working. The 2 inch spacer lift turned out perfect but I will need to figure out a way to relocate those sway bar mounts as I don't like the way it drives without them.

Brody

Reaction score
First tank is almost gone and it looks like I've already gone 120 miles further than it used to go and still have maybe another 50 miles left. The tank was also not full when I started so I'd say the truck is now significantly better on fuel than it used to be

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Vs with the gas engine? I'm sure that it is. Mine had a C6 that slipped in drive so I doubled (at least) my fuel mileage after the IDI swap.

Brody

Reaction score
I used to go 450 kms on a full tank with the gas motor and I just went over 600 on not a full tank with the diesel so I'd say it's a big improvement

Brody

Reaction score
Little more update on the truck. I've been having issues with the charging system. I tried the diesel alternator and all 3 of my alternators for the 351. None seem to charge and I've got new negative cables, grounds are new/have been checked. The exciter wire shows 12 volts with the ignition on. Anyone got any Ideas?

On the fuel mileage side of things I'm almost at 500 kms and am sitting a little under a half tank and I think I'll do at least 700 on this tank so pretty solid improvement.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of alternator do you have? The old style with the separate regulator is a 1G. The type with the regulator mounted on the back of the alternator and the two output wires with slip on connectors is a fire starter 2G style. And then you have the later 3G style alternators with internal regulators also.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Pull the connector off your external regulator and clean the contacts. Then follow the ground wire, it’s black if I recall. It goes to one or two slide/slip connectors and then to an eyelet screwed to the fender as I recall. One of the slip connectors corroded and prevent the reg from having a good ground. Once I pulled them appart and cleaned them my charging system worked.

If that does not work try a new regulator as likely one of those alternators was good.

Brody

Reaction score
For anyone wondering. I did fix the alternator and ended up selling the truck. 4 months of non stop working on it killed the love for me

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, any old vehicle, no matter what make, you will have to put in some time and money to get them running in a dependable condition.

Buy a new or newer vehicle, you will be dumping in money for payments and higher insurance and registration. You will put more money into a newer vehicle, but at the same time it is depreciating in value.

Dump money in one of these old IDI Diesels, doesn`t necessairly make them worth more money, It`s easy to dump in $10 - $30K in one depending how far you want to go. Total it out in a wreck, and the insurance will only give you $1k - $3K for it.

The value in these old ladys, is what we put into them.
I feel bad you are giving up, but we don`t know your circumstances.

If the bug bites you and you fall in love with another one, we will be here for you to guide you along.

Goat

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Appreciate you closing the loop on this thread.

Sorry to hear your truck was having so many issues.

But I get at some point most of us would cut bait if out truck was constantly having expensive issues and was not reliable.

All the best!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online