7.3 PSD, Best starter

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
What are the current thoughts on what starter is the best for our 7.3's? I'm needing a new one for my 99 F550. Thinking about going thru DB Electrical.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Heard dB isn't what it used to be.
I went with a autozone new unit. Still going strong. And at least if I have issues, I can go right into any store to replace it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DBelectrical has gone way down in quality. My last starter was an OEM motorcraft (super duty version for both my trucks)

unclehoser

Old dog, new tricks
Reaction score
Speaking of starters...I thought I was going to be in the same situation about a month ago, but I dodged a bullet. Did my normal Monday morning routine grocery/errand run, got home, parked, and tinkered about the house & garage until about 3:00 in the afternoon. Got bored, showered up, and headed out for a beer...turned the key...ZING! CRUNCH! CRUNCH! ZING! Not a good thing.

I was working in the driveway (concrete) earlier, so I had the truck parked in the yard. I live in the desert, 3 blocks off the Colorado River, so I'm sitting in soft, sandy dirt with pea gravel on top. Couldn't jack it up there, just would have buried the jack in the dirt. Opted for a tow truck to the shop.

After about 5 hours, the mechanic calls. Seems that out of 3 bolts attaching the starter, one was missing, one was almost completely dislodged, and the top bolt (the only one really holding anything together) was damned near dislodged and bent at about a 45 degree angle! He cleaned up the threads, installed new bolts (with Loctite, thank you very much) and I got away with paying a couple hours shop time. Great news, since I priced OEM starters for the beast at over $400.00.

My apologies for the hijack, but I just had to share that! If I could have gotten under the damned thing, it would have been obvious, but.....it's history.

Cheers...good luck.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
powermaster is an aftermarket gear reduced starter.
you can get them from any performance warehouse.
like summit, jegs, etc.
powerstroke uses the 9051
late 6.9 & all 7.3 IDI's use the 9050

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heard dB isn't what it used to be.
I went with a autozone new unit. Still going strong. And at least if I have issues, I can go right into any store to replace it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I bought a DB. 1 year warranty, it went out at 13 months. I needed one quick so I put in one from O'Reilly (close to house). I used a denso one. Works great and as said above, I can get one anywhere and lifetime warranty.

Looked at Powermaster. I have heard great things (mainly from Brian :rolleyes:) I just needed it fast and it has worked so far.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
A few months into the new Delco now and not one hiccup and many many starts, and a few hard starts for unrelated reasons. I know a few months isn't a long time or it never used to be, but with all the crap on the market now....I'm kinda impressed. However, with the PSD's I would always entertain the idea of a faster turning starter just as an upgrade to get that oil pressure up quicker

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Genuine Denso gear reduction 4 kw (stock is like 2.5kw)
Only drawback is the weight and only 2 bolts attaching to block plate. I wouldn't recommend for washboard gravel roads.