7.3 powerstroke into a pre 92 Econoline .

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at older Ford bigblock motorhomes and would liek to do a 7.3 powerstroke conversion on one.
yes I know they put idi diesels into 83-91 Eseries. I don't any good 7.3 idis for a conversion but I have 3 low mile 7.3 powerstrokes already .

I'm planning a big trip in July and diesel conversion on an old motorhome is option 2. hopefully looking at a 1980 E350 travelaire with only 103,000 original km on it 26 footer.

Diesel motorhomes are very rare and very expensive here, and usually are high miles and mostly worn out. but getting triple the fuel economy compared to their big block brothers does make them better for long trips . I'm planning on aprox 10,000 mile round trip holiday.

I'm looking for anybody that has put a 7.3 powerstroke into any pre 1992 Econoline chassis, opinions are fine, experience is great!

thanks for any input .:cheers:

Randy Bush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those van the IDI is plenty tight in them. Rebuilt the engine in one yrs ago, don't know where you would find room for a powerstroke in one. Personally I would stick with an IDI , would be the easiest plug and play.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I know how tight they are, I was doing headgaskets back in late 80s/early 90s on 7.3idi in econolines at Erinwood Ford while I was apprenticing. that was a fun job but it was doable without lifting the body.

I haven't seen a solid 7.3idi around here for years now . I just happen to have several very nice 7.3 powerstrokes that I got real cheap in parts vans. they just don't wear out if maintained.

SebastIDIan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for it. Wiring can't be that different from a truck. Someone here put a powerstroke in a pre 92 truck without swapping the whole dash, etc

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well heavy snow squalls kept us from going to look at a motorhome today but plans are for sunday, colder but winds calming down. 1.5 hr drive one way could have ended up as a day trip , if stuck in a snow bank in Zero visability.:frustrate . I'm going to grab the dealer plate from work on Saturday, cash and hauling it away right there can make a big drop in price sometimes.......:dunno.

We'll see if its junk or right in the ballpark.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say there’s nothing but fear and common sense keeping you from it. Take pictures.

[emoji16]

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well this motorhoem wasn't the one for us. needed major roof repair>started by owner. seats all needed recover and the bottom of the side panels crumbled in my hands when I grabbed them. too far gone for our intended use. it would break apart on the 1500 miles of gravel/dirt/mud roads.

one of my old buddies heard I was looking at truck campers and called me and said I could have his, then he told me it was a del raye sky lounge camper , holy crap they are huge! found a pic online .
You must be registered for see images attach

it almost looks liek the front of a boat, these things must have been the rollover kings of camping back in the 60s and 70s.

If I was retired I woudl love to rebuild one, pretty cool beast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online