7.3 NA Idi e350 belt squeek/wobble (vid)

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure if this is normal but there is a wobble between the alternator and engine pulley that I didnt notice before putting in a new alternator. So I changed the tensioner and idler. After the tensioner was changed the squeels started. The old one seemed stiff but didnt squeel as much. (not that I noticed.)
would this be catastrophic to drive? I need this truck for work.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new alternator is upgraded from 90A to 165A
The belt is around 1000 miles.
I notice that the distance between the pulleys are pretty far. Im just concerned about this squeek

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the tennsioner had a different diameter pulley than the old one. Maybe try an inch shorter belt. You could also put an idler pulley on the back side of the belt on that long span.

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where is the tensioner in its operating range? You should have to pull it all the way over with a breaker bar to even get the belt over the pulleys. If it's too loose it will definitely bounce and squeak.

If you're going to try a shorter belt I suggest half an inch (depending on how tight the one you have now is). You'd be surprised how much difference that makes to the fit :)

Christian9112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks guys! I will try a shorter belt first. If that doesnt work im gonna make an adjustable bracket for the alternator with an idler on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online