7.3 IDIT versus 7.3 IDI are the flywheels interchangeable?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok So I'm swapping in a 91 7.3 IDI into my 93 Factory turbo truck. My question is can I use the IDIT flywheel on the n/a engine? It's a single mass conversion, but was purchased for the Factory turbo engine. Had I to do it again I'd of purchased the single mass flywheel kit for the n/a engine. Had I not been reading Towcat's thread regarding the different flywheels for the IDI and IDIT I'd of never thought anything about installed the n/a engine and run down the road. Assuming I had no weird vibrations.

1. Run the IDIT flywheel on the 7.3 IDI engine, do I need to use the IDIT harmonic balancer also?
2. Have the flywheel balanced to match a n/a engine, but don't I need to balance the whole rotating assembly?
3. Purchase the non-turbo single mass conversion flywheel and use it instead.

So what are my options here? Keeping in mind I'm cheap and in my crewcab I put a 6.9 flywheel on my 7.3 with no ill effects so I'm not an engine balance boyscout by any means. I'd really like to just put on the flywheel I have and run.

Thanks,
Jeremy

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I say do it. Whats the worst thing that can happen. Just make sure the crank flange is clean by using a small knife sharpening stone and some oil. Do this on the flywheel mating surface to the crank also. What your looking for is any high spots.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've not seen a SMF kit that has a special flywheel for IDIT engines. They have the same dang flywheel in those kits from '87-'94.

I too have ran a 6.9 flywheel on the back of the 7.3 in the F250. Never have had an issue either. runs smooth as a baby's butt.

Heath

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys that's what I needed to hear. After I posted I checked out rock auto and some suppliers list a special flywheel for the 93-94 factory turbo trucks and some don't. My plan is to run it and be done.

Should I used the IDIT harmonic balancer or skip it? I read somewhere the part number on it was the only way to tell a difference between it and the n/a engines. So that tells me the difference is very small.

I did find that this manufacturer and part number is listed for both IDI and IDIT engines.
EXEDY Part # FWFMC128
-8th Digit of VIN# C, Factory Turbo, LUK type solid flywheel replacement, kit contains flywheel.
-Non-Turbo and Factory Turbo, 8th Digit of VIN K. LUK type solid flywheel replacement kit contains solid flywheel and mounting bolts. Must be used as matched set. (Only 3 Remaining)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok So I'm swapping in a 91 7.3 IDI into my 93 Factory turbo truck. My question is can I use the IDIT flywheel on the n/a engine? It's a single mass conversion, but was purchased for the Factory turbo engine. Had I to do it again I'd of purchased the single mass flywheel kit for the n/a engine. Had I not been reading Towcat's thread regarding the different flywheels for the IDI and IDIT I'd of never thought anything about installed the n/a engine and run down the road. Assuming I had no weird vibrations.

1. Run the IDIT flywheel on the 7.3 IDI engine, do I need to use the IDIT harmonic balancer also?
2. Have the flywheel balanced to match a n/a engine, but don't I need to balance the whole rotating assembly?
3. Purchase the non-turbo single mass conversion flywheel and use it instead.

So what are my options here? Keeping in mind I'm cheap and in my crewcab I put a 6.9 flywheel on my 7.3 with no ill effects so I'm not an engine balance boyscout by any means. I'd really like to just put on the flywheel I have and run.

Thanks,
Jeremy

snapshot source;
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...om-grandfather-idi-to-new-born-baby-6-7l.html

also,for the drastic differences between the n/a and the turbo cranks,check out this thread on fte with pics showing them both.clearly you can see why you can't (shouldn't lol) interchange them.all will become clear;
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1222045-idi-vs-idit-crank-shaft-2.html

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before seeing the article about the balancer I was goning to say do not switch it from the engine it came on.. Unless your doing a complete rotatiin balance shot. Then it will not matter what you have on either end of the crank.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I'm back on the fence now......A correct flywheel is only 125 bucks, but I could of been Ok if I'd of been thinking when I ordered. Still seems like I should be able to have my flywheel balanced by itself to the specs of the n/a engines. Somehow the manufacturer is "balancing" them to before they ship them. I agree with Hesutton that every SM flywheel I've seen all have the same look to them. So it must just be the balancing holes that are different? I'm going to run it by my engine guy to get his take on it also.

FordF250 that is a good read right there. Thanks for the link.

Ok just did a little more poking around. The flywheel for the n/a is listed at 51 lb's and the flywheel for the IDIT is listed at 50 lbs. Not sure if it means anything or not.

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok did some more looking Got pics of both flywheels. Definitely start with the same forging, but have different balancing done. I'm sure the IDIT could be made to fit an N/A application by balancing it to match the n/a application. How I figure that out I'm unsure. Anyway posting this for info at this point more than anything.

FW127-n/a
IDITapplication

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes and NO

yes it bolts in, No it wont match the factory balance.
Wish I had the pics to show but it will be out of balance enough to shake.

I do have a pic of the harmonic balancers and they are both different by a good amount.

I always Balance my wheels to the engines, but that is because I am good at having to
rip them apart to repair them..

Javier

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well in the end anything thats bolted to the crank should be balanced to it. Can the be done without the rotating parts... Nope. So whats a guy to do if the flywheel cracks, wears out or the dampner rubber lets go.. Its a crap shoot at best. In me life working on engines I have only seen one dampner let go. That was about a year after I rebuilt my 454 and balanced it. In that case I bought a new balancer and was able to remove some heavy metal pins from the bad one and install them in the new one. Seems that how that dampner was made with balance holes drilled to accept the weights.. Kinda neet actually. Thay engine has many thousand miles of running with no issues with vibration or balance.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think I can return the wrong flywheel i bought so that is good news. I'll do that this weekend then purchase the correct kit for the engine I'm putting in. Who knew they were different. Evidently everybody else in the world as I've found tons of posts on the diesel forums including Oilburners referencing this fact. :dunno I didn't even know I needed to look this up.

Anyway learned more about IDIT engines than I wanted to know. Good learning exercise if nothing else.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very interesting read to say the least.

Now I've got to find a flywheel for an IDIT Doh!

OK not a big deal,

Al

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 7.3 I used a Turbo balancer and a N/A flexplate, the heavy two piece unit, unlike the one pictured above.
Of course I had my whole recip assembly balanced.
The Engine has turbo rods/pistons the cranks are all the same 6.9/7.3.
So yes getting the balance can be a bit tricky and on a diesel you dont want ant inbalance cause that will be an expensive grenade.

Javier

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
No the SMF flywheels can't be swapped. I made the mistake of using a turbo flywheel on my N/A motor when I did my SMF swap. It made it shake like crazy. The turbo flywheel is balanced differently to account for the different connecting rods in the turbo motor. I was able to exchange my flywheel since at the time of ordering it was the only one listed. I didn't install it until several months later and by then the catalog had been updated to show two different flywheels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online