7.3 Idi

jordan freeman

Reaction score
Okay, so I have a 94 7.3 Idi, it's a 2wd so I'm wondering if I convert it to 4wd from a 94 F250, will I have to do any fabrication. Also I'm new here and I've had this truck a little over a year and drove it everyday no problem. Also have done a oil change and coolant flush every 4000 miles. What oil and coolant do y'all recommend? Thanks for any help!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It needs a diesel coolant. It has different addatives than gas engine coolant. Do NOT use coolant that says a"all makes all models"in it.

As for oil 15w40 is what I like. I don't think you can buy a bad diesel oil. Some say that shell burns faster than other brands. I like the wpp oil walmart sells.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. As for oil I use Chevron Delo 15W40. Its my personal choice based on what works for me. Motorcraft oil is very good too. My filter is the Motorcraft 1995 powerstroke oil filter because it cleans to a smaller micron than the standard filter of the idi engines. I use the same motorcraft fuel filter too. NEVER EVER USE ANY FRAM OIL OR FUEL FILTERS. They may appear nice but.. They are a poor filter that tends to fall apart internally plus their filter micron is much larger than most others. So they allow more dirt to pass thru.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing a 2wd f250 or f350 to 4wd is not a bolt-in like it is for the f150's. If you have the donor truck there, it can be done with some rivet drilling/grinding/chiseling to get rid of the front coil spring system you have, and convert it to a front leaf spring system the 4wd uses. It will be a bunch of bracket swapping and if you are swapping in the original f250 4x4 suspension, you will also need to swap in the center pivot brackets. Once the brackets are all in place, you can bolt in the front axles. You can make that stage 1 and then drive it around still as a 2wd.

Then stage two can be swapping the 4x4 trans and transfer case in place, install the driveshaft, swap the floor plate for the transfer case shifter, and that's about it.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Zerex HD ELC coolant(P/N ZXED1) in my trucks. It's a diesel-rated OAT coolant that won't need any SCA's added, and won't destroy old seals.

Filter - Motorcraft FL1995, available at autozone or walmart. This is the 7.3PSD filter, and your oil capacity will be 11qts.

Oil - I run Mobil 15w40, catch it at the right time and you can find mail in rebates to save $5/gal, $25/5-gal bucket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmustang1965

Members online