7.3 idi turbo hard to start

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 1993 f350 with 180k miles with 7.3idi turbo and it does not like to start even in 80 plus degree weather. I replaced the caps and lines also went through the fuel system and can't find any leaks. When trying to start it will be blowing a little bit of white smoke and after a bit it will start blowing black smoke still not starting. After it does start it will blow a lot of smoke and it'll rev up to around 1600-2000 rpm even with no throttle input. Within 5 seconds of it starting it will go back to idle and it idles smooth and with no smoke. Runs great has good power and will start right after it warms up. So what in the world could cause this. It usually takes about 45 seconds to 1 minute of starter turning it over before it starts with a 30 second brake between 15 second starting intervals.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has an electric fuel pump have no idea what pump it is I bought it with it already installed. When I press in the Schrader valve at the filter fuel comes out so I would guess it's working.

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn IP to passenger side thickness of a nickle. Get a new starter (Denso style) you are killing that one.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It really makes a lot of clakity noises when it first starts would it be alright to advance it even more

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not think they work. Ohm reading of 5 or higher some no reading at all. Glow plug controller clicks and only seems to draw amperage when it clicks for a split second.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not think they work. Ohm reading of 5 or higher some no reading at all. Glow plug controller clicks and only seems to draw amperage when it clicks for a split second.

You have identified one of your problems. Fix your glow plugs, it's not that hard.

Good job letting your starter rest/cool between initial starting attempts, but you should really think about a new starter as well. IDI's need enough speed to start. Remember, it's compression to ignition, and even with a good glow plug circuit, they need speed. Questionable batteries, battery cables and a warn starter will make for poor starting.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only get the motocraft zd9 plugs right. It's strange that it would need the glow plug even in hotter weather considering the cummins has no glow plugs and less compression and will fire right up in colder weather or is that a idi vs dI thing

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
100 percent IDI thing. We hit 100 here in August and I needed to glow it for 6 seconds or so to get it going. Heat and speed or they don't start.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have discovered something interesting. The glow plug controller does not stop sending power to the plugs until the engine starts. I was trying to test the cold advance by disconecting the wire from the pump and when I did I heard a click in the plug controller. So I went to start it and the battery gauge was way up and it spun over faster than iv heard an engine spin over.