7.3 idi turbo engine swap.

bbiinc1

Reaction score
Hello all! I have a interesting opportunity. I can pick up a 2009 F350 crew cab 4x4 srw with a bad 6.4l for basically scrap value. It's also a xlt lariat.
I also have a 94 f250 7.3 turbo that the body is shot on it.
How difficult would it be to put my super reliable 7.3 into the 2009? I'm not overly concerned with the logistics of it, more about what would have to be done to either get the 2009 transmission to work with the 7.3 or swapping the entire drive line from the 94.

Thanks Steve

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue is, over coming the emissions issues with it passing smog with the government.
I doubt the older engine in a newer chassis will fly.

Over in Ca. they smog Diesels 97 and newer.

If you go for it, dropping in the whole 94 drive train wold be the best bet. If a manual trans will have to adapt the peddles to the newer body, or find a set from a 2019 body style.

Goat

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Ditto, inspections in many states will be problematic putting an older engine in a newer truck that had different emissions.

Also, these days the PCM communicates, directs, or actually controls things like the A/C clutch, speedometer, tachometer, body control module (Fuel level, lights, other gauges.), and such. Not familiar with that 2009 system but be aware this could be much more challenging than just getting an IDI to fit and hooked up. You may be losing gauges, heating/cooling, auto lighting, and other things. So, there could be countless hours of work IE more than fixing/swapping the 6.4l engine. From what I have read the biggest death of these is stuck injectors at high mileage washing out a cylinder. It's too bad the truck does not sense this and set the check engine light. (Maybe it does, and owners ignore it.)

Also, that would hurt resale value and ability to sell the truck down the road. Personally, I do not like to get deeper into a truck than what I can get for it.

Also, if economical to acquire, perhaps just bullet proof the engine in it. Then have a faster, more powerful truck, and send it for another 200K miles. In my area that is a $10-12K truck in good shape running. So, if you can buy it for 2k or less, put in 8K or less. You are at bluebook (At least in my area.) and you have a rebuilt engine that has all new belts/hoses/thermostat/water pump, rebuilt injectors and pump, and other new/rebuilt parts. Maybe call around (Including some states around you.) to see who would do that for a good price. Perhaps just farm it out because the truck running has value.

If you do not want to go to that much work or expense, then perhaps you keep looking for a blown up IDI or if not an issue for inspection in your state (Or you can get a waiver.) buy a gasser and convert. That would be a much more straight forward install of your IDI.

Last edited:

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I have always wanted to buy a truck with a blown 6.0 or 6.4 and swap In an idi or dt360. There was a couple threads about it on FTE if you google it. They had zf5 transmissions. What transmission does the truck have? Like was already mentioned, there is a whole lot of electrical components that are in the way. You would probably have to make or buy a custom gauge cluster and modify the heat and ac using parts off the IDI. Basically strip out all the electrical and start over. I am not sure about the power windows, if they can just be wired up with a hot wire like the old trucks. IMO you would be better off using the whole idi drive train (engine,transmission,transfer case) if possible, and would most likely have to modify the drive shafts. It all depends on your resources, if you feel comfortable taking it on it will definitely be an awesome truck when it's done.
As for the legal aspect, it won't pass inspection because of the emissions test. Being that the 6.4 truck is a 2009, it is obviously held up to the emissions standards of 2009, so if you put a 1994 motor in there, it won't pass. That part depends on the state you're in.

Rock

SuperDave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a guy on Ford truck enthusiast went by the username farmnfly, he the same swap on a 6.4 truck and went into pretty good details of how he did it and what parts he used. It's a good write up if anyone cares to read it.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it wouldn’t be impossible. I would leave most of the 2009 electronics in place. I would just add what’s needed to run the IDI , which honestly isn’t much. Just think about it, the radio, power windows etc all work without the engine running, so why does the engine even need to be there. If you leave the 2009 pcm and obd2 port, you could probably even pass emissions as long as there are no codes present now. A scanner will read codes, and emissions readiness without the engine running. If the codes are good simply cut the “start” circuit running to the pcm, and the computer will just think you turned the key to run, but never started it. I don’t know if the computer would throw any codes if you disconnected the instrument cluster. You may have to figure out a way to leave the cluster connected, but tucked out of the way. Do a manual transmission. Run a GPS speedo, and some analog gauges. Should be fun and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think it wouldn’t be impossible. I would leave most of the 2009 electronics in place. I would just add what’s needed to run the IDI , which honestly isn’t much. Just think about it, the radio, power windows etc all work without the engine running, so why does the engine even need to be there. If you leave the 2009 pcm and obd2 port, you could probably even pass emissions as long as there are no codes present now. A scanner will read codes, and emissions readiness without the engine running. If the codes are good simply cut the “start” circuit running to the pcm, and the computer will just think you turned the key to run, but never started it. I don’t know if the computer would throw any codes if you disconnected the instrument cluster. You may have to figure out a way to leave the cluster connected, but tucked out of the way. Do a manual transmission. Run a GPS speedo, and some analog gauges. Should be fun and easy.

Boy. Here I was thinking that my Bronco/6.9 swap was involved.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive DT swapped my 01 SD.
if you are in CA, and have a PO box in a clean county, you only need to smog to transfer title.

a DT360 will plop right in, and give you more power than the 6.4 with the right pump

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a guy on Ford truck enthusiast went by the username farmnfly, he the same swap on a 6.4 truck and went into pretty good details of how he did it and what parts he used. It's a good write up if anyone cares to read it.

I remember that thread. here are a couple YT Vids on it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here is a follow up a couple years later.

Goat

ih8minimumwage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read around the internet at Cummins swaps in the 09 Fords, will be as much work as any of those. Hell, I searched real quick and first hit was a 4-53 2-Stroke Detroit Diesel swapped in one.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Read around the internet at Cummins swaps in the 09 Fords, will be as much work as any of those. Hell, I searched real quick and first hit was a 4-53 2-Stroke Detroit Diesel swapped in one.
As much as I like screaming jimmies, there is just something wrong with putting a GM motor in a ford,lol. :dunno

Rock

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a generator last weekend with a 4-53 Detroit. It’s an ex military Stewart Stevenson. All it has for a muffler is a Donaldson that’s about 12” long. The exhaust is sweet and obnoxious all at the same time. I’ve already picked up a muffler from a big truck salvage yard. Just waiting on a couple 4” elbows.

pastorjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is no different than any mechanical injected swap into a SD, so go for it. Should be a great build! I have been looking for a donor body to do this with my son. After a lot of research you can swap over the 6.4 sensors (temp, oil, etc) and keep your gauges. The crank sensor is swapable to keep the tach and if you hook the TPS/gas pedal up you would potentially be able to operate the transmission. Can't wait to see your progress.

bbiinc1

Reaction score
It should be an adventure. I'm not really worried about the value afterward. It would be cool to try and have the the newer transmission work. If not I'll swap in the E4OD and make it work. I think I can probably get the gages to work.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk