7.3 idi turbo crank no start no oil pressure. Stranded in vegas.

zachacuna

Reaction score
Hi guys on need of some help! On my way from Montana to Arizona and we got to Vegas and stopped at the store. Came out truck wont start. No oil pressure. Crank no start. We are stranded any suggestions appreciated.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st) make sure the FSS is clicking. it's the terminal closest to you on the driver's side.
2nd) IDI's don't need a HPOP to fire. 5 to 7 psi at idle is what we run on.
3) if the FSS clicks, pour cool not cold water on the injection pump.
crank and see if it starts then.
4) if it does start, your injection pump is not long for this world.
good luck and report back.

zachacuna

Reaction score
FSS was clicking. Does the water trick only work when IP is hot? And thanks for chiming in. The water just cooling the pump?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
To clarify he means to unplug the ip shut off solenoid and plug it back in to see if it clicks.
I think you are maybe hearing the glowplugs?
What happens is the ip wears and the tolerances loosen up, with heat they open up more. Normally the IP is being cooled with fuel while the engine is running. Well once you shut it off, the heat from the engine will make it way into the pump.
Pouring cool water over it tightens up those tolerances. (So to speak)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

zachacuna

Reaction score
So when the wife turns key on I I can hear the solenoid at top of the pump click. I'll try to unplug and plug to make sure it clicks. That pump was a recent rebuilt one but wouldn't doubt it's shot. I hear they the people I got them from are no good. Hoping it starts in the morning but it hasn't yet tonight.

zachacuna

Reaction score
Woke up this morning. No start. Crank no start. Seems like a fuel issue. Lift pump was pumping out big "gulps" when I took line off fuel filter. I assume its woking. I am stranded with my wife, kid and dog at a motel in downtown Vegas. Any advice helps. Thanks guys

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much fuel is in the tank? Did you see any air in the fuel when you took the line off the filter?

zachacuna

Reaction score
I had just filled the tank. Full to top I assume. I think there was air actually. Maybe looking for air intrusion?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woke up this morning. No start. Crank no start. Seems like a fuel issue. Lift pump was pumping out big "gulps" when I took line off fuel filter. I assume its woking. I am stranded with my wife, kid and dog at a motel in downtown Vegas. Any advice helps. Thanks guys
cranking speed as the same as before the issues?
you are seeing fuel going in to the IP, but none coming out right?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have an air intrusion issue it is before the pump assuming you have no leaks. The soft hose at the frame going into the fuel pump is a common issue, and the fuel tank selector valve is another.

zachacuna

Reaction score
Alright I got it running after bleeding the lines. Got the neck out of that neighborhood as soon as we could. Stopped 40 mi down the road for water (no ac) same deal now won't start. I think i might have a major air intrusion

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you having any soft on power or gradual power loss? air intrusion shows up under load. bad IP shows up when hot and stopped(heatsoak)
please....try pouring water on the IP....cool not cold water and see if the truck starts.

zachacuna

Reaction score
When I was cruising here I would get these little spurts where the truck had tons of power just for a sec. Poured water on Ip with no luck. Water was warm though. Going to check hoses underneath for any leaks.