7.3 IDI transmission clutch diameter

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to drop transmission this week to replace friction plate, pressure plate and throw out bearing. So have a few questions for my fellow oil burners.

1. Advanced auto is asking me what diameter clutch plate. 11 inch or 12?
Were there 2 sizes?
2. I have that chirp and shaking release lever.
If I have to replace that release bearing sleeve, is this a Ford item?

Thanks in advance.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a 5-speed, you may be due for a flywheel swap. That's what usually causes problems - the stupid DMF(dual-mass flywheel).
The stock pressure plate assembly is 11", and that's fine... 11" is plenty to hold the power levels you have. It's the 6" diameter, 1" wide strip of friction material inside the flywheel itself that is the problem.

The most common SMF(single-mass flywheel) swap is the LuK setup, which uses a 12" clutch assembly(12.25" IIRC), and it's just plain a better setup.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a 5-speed, you may be due for a flywheel swap. That's what usually causes problems - the stupid DMF(dual-mass flywheel).
The stock pressure plate assembly is 11", and that's fine... 11" is plenty to hold the power levels you have. It's the 6" diameter, 1" wide strip of friction material inside the flywheel itself that is the problem.

The most common SMF(single-mass flywheel) swap is the LuK setup, which uses a 12" clutch assembly(12.25" IIRC), and it's just plain a better setup.
Yes, it is a 5 speed. Who sells that LuK setup? I want a single mass flywheel also as you mentioned.
By the way, what does IIRC mean?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LuK 07-225 SMF kit for Non-turbo blocks*: https://www.partsgeek.com/znlns65-f...Geek+ShopZilla&fp=pp&utm_term=Ford+Clutch+Kit
Google has a bunch of options if you search for "LuK 07-225"; these guys look to be the cheapest.
(*Turbo blocks, available in 93-94 have heavier rods and slightly different balance to the flywheel. The clutch above will hand plelenty of power)
Macrobb, the description says F250, I guess its the same for an F350 right. I see another clutch called the rhino pac for $411. Is that any better? Mike

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes, it is a 5 speed. Who sells that LuK setup? I want a single mass flywheel also as you mentioned.
By the way, what does IIRC mean?
It means "if I recall". I can't remember now, was the clutch for the Factory Turbo engines also a 12"? I know the pressure plate bolts had a different bolt pattern.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the factory turbo clutch disk, but the flywheel to engime pattern is the same. Currently have a turbo block in my '93, and it has a non-turbo LuK clutch assembly(including flywheel) on it; not recommended but it works.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also you dont change the throwout sleeve without a trans disassemble

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My clutch chirps till I push in the pedal a little bit, is that the sleeve that you're talking about?
Also you dont change the throwout sleeve without a trans disassemble

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That chirp is likely the TOB. Replace the old one when you swap the clutch.

Heath
Heath, when in neutral and the chirping is going on, went under truck and looked at that arm from slave cylinder to tob, it was wobbling. I didn't think the tob was touching the pressure plate till you pushed clutch pedal. My Dad taught me at a young age keep foot off the clutch or you'll wear out your tob.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The TOB in my F250 has done it for years. Chirp until you put a little pressure on the TOB.

Every time I change the oil, I pull the fork and boot out of the trans. I can slide my hand in and reach the TOB. I as best as I can force grease into the TOB. It won't chirp for about a month and there is much less effort at the pedal when using the clutch. But, it doesn't last. It start chirping again and the pedal takes a little more effort.

Wish I had a TOB with a grease fitting on it. LOL

Heath