7.3 idi throttle position sensor question

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done a little research and tested my tps on my 93 f350 cc lb drw 4x4 7.3 n/a. From what I find I want 1.2 volts At idle position on the throttle, and 4.5 at wot.

Now my questions Are 1 is there any tolerance for it to be off or does it need to be dead accurate. And 2 is if my reads 1.5 idle and 4.06 wot... does that make my sensor bad because it's impossible to achieve the 3.3 volt difference between the specs seeing how my sensor has a 2.56 volt difference.

Please correct me if I'm wrong electronics aren't really my strong point

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FIPL should be 1.1 volts in the closed position and no more than 4.5 volts at WOT. This is meaured by sticking a probe on the middle wire and the other to ground, then manually move the throttle from idle to full slowly looking not only for min/max but also bad spots in the range.

I have mine set @ 1.09 volts. When I set it at 1.2 volts it was revving very high to shift into the next gear. Play with the setting to see what you like the best.

Last edited:

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THIS IS NOT MY WRITE UP. I CANT REMEMBER WHO WROTE IT OR WHERE I GOT IT FROM.

• TECA, PCM, TCM: these all refer to the computer. TECA is transmission electronic control assembly, PCM is powertrain control module, and TCM is transmission control module.
• TECA relay: Referred to as the EEC relay by most autoparts stores, it switches power to the TECA and sensors when the key is on
• VSS sensor: Vehicle speed sensor. 91 and older it's located on the trans tailshaft with a cable going through it to run the mechanical speedo. 92 and up use the rear ABS sensor, sometimes referred to as the VSS sensor at autoparts stores
• FIPL: fuel injection pump lever sensor, also referred to as the TPS (throttle position sensor) by autoparts stores. It tells the computer how much the throttle input is
• MLPS: manual lever position sensor. It's also referred to as the TRS (transmission range sensor) and it tells the computer what gear is manually selected (PRND21)
• Tach sensor: located on the timing gear cover, indicates engine speed to the computer
• TFT: transmission fluid temperature sensor, it's part of the solenoid pack
• SS1: shift solenoid one
• SS2: shift solenoid two
• TCC: torque converter lockup clutch
• CCS: coast clutch solenoid, controls the coast clutch to allow some engine braking on deceleration *See MLSC's post below*
• BPS: barometric pressure sensor, indicates altitude to the computer
• EPC: electronic pressure control solenoid, located in the solenoid pack, controls shift firmness.
• PSOM: programmable speedometer/odometer module. On 92 and up it converts the rear ABS signal into a VSS signal for the trans. It's also the speedometer as it is attached to the rear of the speedo gauge.
The most handy piece of equipment to have is an old style Ford EEC-IV code reader, or an newer code reader that can hookup to the old style EEC-IV diagnostic terminals. Codes can also be read with a test light or a multi meter. If your trans is acting funny the first thing to do is get the codes! The second thing to do is remove and replace the connectors on the trans, clean off any corrosion. The problem could be as simple as a bad connection. If there is no automatic control then either the trans isn't getting power, the sensors aren't grounded at the pass. side battery, or the solenoid pack is burnt. It doesn't hurt to pull the pan not only to check condition of the fluid but to do a fluid and filter change. If you do it wouldn't hurt to unbolt and remove the solenoid pack and give it and it's connector a good cleaning.

Now just throwing sensors at the problem can get expensive so again it's best to get the codes. 92 and up used an upgraded MLPS and the connector is different, most parts stores will sell it with a pigtail connector or a new connector body that the terminals from your old connector snap into. If this is bad all sorts of things can happen, no OD, no converter lockup, dropping in and out of lockup or gear, etc.

There are posts all over this board about the FIPL, make sure you have the newer grey style. FIPL should be 1.1 volts in the closed position and no more than 4.5 volts at WOT. This is meaured by sticking a probe on the middle wire and the other to ground, then manually move the throttle from idle to full slowly looking not only for min/max but also bad spots in the range.

The VSS signal tells the trans when to shift as well as lockup the converter. If it's bad or open the converter may not lockup and the trans takes forever to upshift, almost like it's slipping. I believe a bad tach signal can do the same thing.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Why are you using ohms instead of volts???:dunno I have always used volts measured off the center wire on the tps switch leads. On a warmed up engine key on but engine off I prefer a voltage of 1.2 volts. Factory suggests .96 to 1.2 volts. We can't do anything about adjusting the high voltage. When we set the idle voltage and then go wide open throttle the wot is what ever we get. What we can't have it 5 volts at wide open throttle position. That will cause the trans computer to short out and we end up in limp home mode and thats really ******* the trans

FoolhardyIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes sorry Volts is what I used. I will also change it in the write up. Thank you for pointing that out.

Last edited:

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have mine set to 1.2 volts and that seems to work good. As Gary stated, we can't do anything about the high voltage. Mine is only 4.1 volts at WOT and it is Ford TPS.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The tps came to be when the first E4OD went into the trucks so that was probably 1989 which is the first year trucks had the E4OD. I'm not sure when the tps was used on the big Mercs and Ford V8 engine applications but if those cars had a E4OD trans they must of had a tps too. BTW these tps switches should be replaced around 50,000 to 75,000 miles. They are little more than a rheostat that has a metal strip rubbing on a wire grid similar to any heater rheostat switch. Think how many times our throttle moves and you start wondering how these switches last as long as they do. Snapon makes a nice scanner tool that measures the voltage and maps it out when the throttle is applied from idle to wot. It can show where the switch drops the signal to the trans cpu and we know what that causes. A simple volt meter can't show this either.

Black dawg

Reaction score
problem is that "idle" is relative to have fast you have your idle speed set. Just check with voltmeter each time you adjust, and find where you like it. 1.2 volts was always a good starting point for me.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys if I get a chance at work tomorrow I'm gonna try adjusting and see what happens.

zmck150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The closest I could get the reading was 1.21 volts, lets just say it feels like I have a new transmission. Thanks for all the information you guys helped me a ton

Noiseydiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this might pop to the surface again and looking up the 'updated' Gray TPS / FIPL, Motorcraft # W0133-1700356 (?) it is listed as fitting the 90-96 F150 with the 4.9 6 cyl engine.
Checking TSB's on the 93 F350, there is no mention of an upgraded TPS.
However. It's only been about 25 years since I worked on those and faintly, possibly, remember the updated TPS, MAYBE. So at this point, do I obtain a 4.9 TPS, install and check voltages?
It's only $40 or so. . . .You got $40 on an experiment with an electrical part?
25 years. That was. . . when I was about age 39. Add a dose of old timers and . . .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online