7.3 idi swap

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys I need some info. My 94 idi factory turbo has developed knock at 270000 miles. I have a chance to buy a 91 7.3 non turbo with 130000 on it for a great price. Question is can I put my factory turbo on this engine without to much trouble.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your question depends of what the replacement engine came from. If it came from a f20 or 350 truck then it will bolt in. no problems. If the engine came from a van then you MUST change the oil cooler and the drivers side exhast manifold. Otherwise they are a direct bolt in because EVERY idi engine both heads and block are drilled and threaded the same. An actual turbo block engine has 1/4 inch oil port plugs where the non turbo blocks both 6.9 and 7.3 will have the 1/8 inch oil port plugs. Even with that you can still make these swap very easy.I

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do I need to increase the size of the oil ports and change the exhaust manifolds from the turbo engine to the non turbo engine

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No is the short answer. Both the idi engines in the turbo or non turbo application can support the turbo by the design oiling system. No need to open up the oil ports. Some have done this but it really was not required. Banks has installed turbos on the non turbo engines for many years using the 1/8 inch oil supply ports.
As for changing from non turbo exhaust manifolds to a "turbo manifold.. No. ALL turbo and non turbo engines use the same exhaust manifolds. In fact they share most every internal engine part too. No matter what idi in non turbo form, they all use the same crank, rods, cam, oil pump, gears and many other internal parts. The difference comes when you call an engine a turbo idi. Those have a slightly different balanced crank but it still measures exactly the same as a 6.9 or 7.3 non turbo engine. Also the piston pins are a larger size from the non turbo pistons. the non turbo size is 28mm and the turbo size is 33mm. Only custom turbo pistons are available for the 6.9. My engine block was a non turbo type but I designed the rebuild to be a turbo block engine by adding turbo pistons and rods. Hope this helps you understand these engines a little better.

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
icanfixall I really appreciate all your knowledge and assistance with this project. I will be picking up the engine later this week and plan on doing the engine swap the following week, if I come up with any more questions ill repost again when I come across them. Thanks again

Runningaford

Reaction score
I think once you remove the CDR on the NA engine, down in the hole is a baffle, you'll need to poke some holes through that, to allow for better oil drain back from the turbo pedestal.

torinoracer29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok guys I have an update and I need some opinions and advise. I bought the 91 engine and I might be a little skeptical of it (I did get it for a better price than expected). I also bought a 94 factory turbo engine with the ats outlet snail on it. The engine has 128000 original miles on it but they overheated it and both heads are cracked. Here's my dilemma do I take the 94 engine and put my heads on it and install in my truck or do I use the 91 non turbo engine and put the turbo on it and install that one in my truck. I will say the 94 is definitely a cleaner engine

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use the factory turbo engine, have your heads checked at a machine shop before installing them.