7.3 IDI starting

Oldlogger

Reaction score
Hello, New to the forum. My son has a 88 7.3 that we had air in the fuel so we replace all injector seals and caps, lift pump, olive seals. added a check valve. The engine starts better but you have to give it a little throttle while cranking the engine for it to start right up. Do you think the injector pump is going bad. Other than that it runs great. Starts right up after that first start up. Thanks Vern

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That said, mine starts fine with no throttle. Just the one pedal press before starting to activate the cold start (fast idle and timing advance).

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes, all mechanically injected diesels like throttle while cranking.
Even if it's warm outside, you should still "pump the gas" one time like you're setting an automatic choke on a gas engine. That sets the fast (high) idle so that it helps start the engine faster.

Austin86250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if it's warm outside, you should still "pump the gas" one time like you're setting an automatic choke on a gas engine. That sets the fast (high) idle so that it helps start the engine faster.
I always crank full throttle wether it’s 0 or 100

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I always full throttle when cold start regardless of temperature, if I've driven it that day I do half. Always works.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I have found that they all start slightly different, some pumps like WOT while others like just some throttle. Have had a few that start best with no throttle.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
My batteries are on their last legs, this morning it was 30°f out, slow as hell cranking, but cycled the glow plugs twice, WOT, and she fired off after a few revolutions. Love these engines.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine hates WOT on start she won’t have it at all, but just some pressure and she fires right off.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do y'all have a block heater? Probably get laughed at a bit by some people but just I plug in if it doesn't get above 35F for a couple days. It'd start fine on the flow plugs but helps with time to full warm up - typically just give half throttle for starts under 65F and don't have any problems.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have one, I have a short in my cable though.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Mine decided to not work anymore. That's as far as I've looked into it. I usually don't have to drive when it's too cold so it's not at the top of my to do list.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I like using it cause it is nice having a heater right away, but I need to fix mine... Don't drive my truck enough to justify fixing it yet though....as I say sitting in it at a fuel station lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
93 Farm Truck