7.3 idi loses prime

Martian1743

Reaction score
1991 F350 7.3 idi : It has a new lift pump, new return line kit, new Motorcraft Glow Plugs, and all injectors have been externally cleaned, and all seem to work.
It was running smoothly UNTIL I hooked it to a large RV. After driving 15 miles with no problems whatsoever, I was faced with a semi-steep grade. The truck made it 1/2 way up the hill and immediately died. It had lost its prime. I primed it 3 more times on the way to the campground, and dropped the RV. Then headed home and had to prime it 3 more times just to get it home. Prior to this scenario, it was running perfectly for a full month.
How could it lose it's prime over and over?
I thought possibly due to the load, then I dropped the load and still it kept losing prime.
Ideas? Experience with this issue? Thanks for your assistance.

Martian1743

Reaction score
Yes, dual tanks and both have plenty of fuel. It loses prime in either tank.
Also, I have added a clear fuel filter prior to the main filter on top of the engine. That filter stays full of fuel, even when it loses prime.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added a check valve before the lift pump on most my trucks, it fixes the issue and holds a few psi after being shut off, makes for a real quick start

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added a check valve before the lift pump on most my trucks, it fixes the issue and holds a few psi after being shut off, makes for a real quick start
Can you post a pic of it installed, and/or a link to the valve you're using?

BTW, can a mod move this to the IDI section?