7.3 idi injectors cap is leaking

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the full kit ( http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...008_2493&keyword=injectors&pt=02524&ppt=C0024 ) 80 miles ago and made sure to use petroleum gel on the O rings , It was leak free then 2 days ago i get a tell tail sign of diesel smell:***: and sure 3 injectors show leaks , Mind you i was working in these areas as i was replacing glow plugs but i did not pull in any .

i tried to push on the caps related to the leaky injectors with no luck , I ordered separate Viton o rings in case i have to replace them .

Is this kit comes with the Viton o rings ?

DO i have to re do every thing all over

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MOST part stores carry dorman, The suppliers mentioned above do not.
their kits ARE top notch.
it would be in your best interest to only buy from them.
theres no replacement better than a good ole kit made in the U.S.A., not usa, china

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered mine off rockauto for 25 bucks....all USA stuff...but there is a trick to get it that cheap. Click on install kit and not repair kit. Same thing just more expensive....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The O'rings in there pic are black, black is normally a Buna-n compound.

If your leak is at the top or bottom of the cap, it could be caused by this.
One thing that can cause a leak is, if the hose is cut to long, it puts side pressure on the cap, the O'ring is just squeezed about .004. The hose should be about 1/8" from the cap on each end, and the cap straight, never twisted.. The Viteon rings are rated for higher heat and longer life.

Geez; if I'd a know you wanted the 5/16" I've got some for $30 shipped.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the ? Tech thread on returns ( I know you read it) it states " once done don't touch them"
Get the above mentioned product!

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clb .. I agree once you done don't touch and don't even look at them . What happen i been chasing an oil leak so i been living under the hod :sly . I think i might pushed my luck .

OLDBULL8 .. The leak coming from the top of the caps . I slightly rotated them and went for a drive and they seems Ok . However i order a pack of Viton O rings from http://www.mcmaster.com part # 9464K342 if all fail i will have 50 of them .

BTW i did find out little 2 late about this local auto part supplier that over 80% of their product made in china . This will be the last time i ever buy from them . I support these reputable vendors for high quality product for sure

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And again, I have 4000 or so vitons in stock, and they are black. Brown viton orings cost 4 times as much so I opted to go black. Since I include them in all kits I sell I figured it would be a cost effective way to upgrade to a known oring quality. I have dipaco kits, I have not had any issues since I complained to them about casting flash 3 years ago, still bears inspection. They are the only one I have found with the german made hose.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What Russ talks about is really an overlooked item. Look at the cap where the o ring just starts to touch it. Usually there is some casting flash there that needs to be removed or it will cut the o ring. I use an exacto knife and scrape off the flash. Feel it and make sure its gone and smooth. Use only viton o rings and never look back.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OLDBULL8 .. The leak coming from the top of the caps . I slightly rotated them and went for a drive and they seems Ok .

I have had to twist mine back and forth about twice now in about 5 years. I used Buna-N hydraulic o-rings from tractor supply and re-used my old caps. I got some 3/16" fuel line from Napa.

A couple of years ago I had the front driver's side injector leaking. I twisted the cap back and forth and really got several leaking, but they dried right up after a few minutes. About a month ago I had two leaking on the pass side front, wiggled them and the same thing, they quit leaking after a few minutes.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I disturbed the fittings during the time I was working to remove the GP as that the only thing I could think off that might caused it .

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Russ talks about is really an overlooked item. Look at the cap where the o ring just starts to touch it. Usually there is some casting flash there that needs to be removed or it will cut the o ring. I use an exacto knife and scrape off the flash. Feel it and make sure its gone and smooth. Use only viton o rings and never look back.

Very good point , I don't think i done that at all . I will check the surface of the caps when i take them off .

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I posted extensive measurements a couple of years ago on the caps, O'rings and injectors. I doubt if I can find the post now. Thats where I come up with the .004 squeeze on the O'rings. There is a step at the top of the cap IIRC of .002 where the O'ring seats just above the hole that feeds the fuel to the injector, that's why you feel the snap when the cap is pushed down all the way, so the top O'ring actually gets a .005 squeeze. I lost all that info when my computer crashed.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Viton O rings showed up yesterday , After i removed all 16 currently installed O ring on the Injectors and compared them it was very noticeable the different between the two materials , colors . I checked the casting flash as mentioned above , greased the new O rings and fitted every thing back together .

ran out of day light and help so i can have some one to crank as i bleed the air out of the injectors. Will try that after i return from vacation

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive always done this myself.
crack em a bit with it running 1 by 1.