7.3 IDI Fuel Filter Reminder

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Just a reminder guys to check your fuel filter from time to time, the water separator, etc. I just went through the worst time ever draining it, getting my bottom separator off, and getting my actual fuel filter off. I ended up having to stab the filter with a screw driver to finally get it off.

Also found out some good and bad news. Bad news is my fuel filter was the factory original! No not the same kind, THE factory original with factory engine overspray on it that is 25 years old :eek:. Granted I don't have many miles on my truck but still; good news is this truck amazes me all the time how all its factory parts still last this long and I am just now starting to have factory parts break from old age after 25 years.

Now obviously I am definitely not recommending to run it that long and yes I should have already changed it, but hell even if I would have done it when I got it, it still was 23 years old at the point.

I have noticed we have a lot of new people popping up as well so I figured I would throw this in here and the reason I worded the title of the thread as I did so that it would be easily found for people searching. I know most of us know this but just for any new people that want to know.

1. Water Separator Drain is standard thread.
2. Water Separator Drain Bowl is standard thread.
3. Fuel Filter is standard thread.

Now

(1) The drain can be a little confusing. It is standard thread but when you turn it to the left to loosen it and drain liquid, it actually goes up into the separator itself. It does this so that the rubber stopper inside of the separator rises and releases liquid out. So it is the normal lefty loosey, righty tighty but looking at it at first might confuse you. Turning it to the right makes the drain go down away from the separator even though it is tightening it, but this is because it is pulling the rubber stopper down to seal.

(2) The drain bown itself again is standard thread but since it is facing down it can get you for a second.
(3) Fuel filter itself is also standard thread but since it is facing down it can get you for a second.

For (2) and (3)

-This means if you are standing next to the passenger fender/tire and facing the motor you will have the battery on your right side, and the firewall/passenger seat on your left side. You will take whatever device you are using to remove it and will start from the battery to your right and your hand will rotate left across your body towards the firewall/passenger seat.

All this is very simple and most of us know but when stuff is stuck on there, not wanting to budge, your frusturated and trying to get it done, sometimes we can get mixed up. Even my factory 1990 manual does not specify if the threads are clockwise or counter-clock wise, it just simply states unscrew/loosen and screw/tighten.

Hope this helps somebody one day.

Thanks

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow that's incredible! service of the fuel filter is every 60k miles or every 4 years.whichever comes first.
25 years on the original that's amazing man! you should cut it open and inspect/post pics of the internals.we'd love to see that!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
every 60k! id be concerned with the paper tearing way before that long.i was doing mine every 10k .i added a water trap and bypassed the stock thing. so i have the water trap thats a 30 micron then the original 6.9 filter thats a 10 micron i think.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Oh trust me it looked like crap. It wasn't scary looking or anything super bad but you could definitely tell it was long gone. It amazes me my truck ran as good as it did.

The paper inside basically looked like soggy mush but suprisingly was still holding up.

I was thinking about it but I can't think of a way to easily cut it open. I figure power tools is asking for trouble being soaked in paper and fuel, and i don't have a hand blade.

Any recommendations?

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Alright guys here you go, cut it open. Like I said it was definitely bad and needed to be changed a long time ago but suprisingly it hadn't started to really break down or come apart like I thought it would have after that long.

25 years, ~48,000 miles.

You must be registered for see images attach

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
The stock style fuel filter motorcraft part number is now F2TZ-9N184-A. Apparently the original part number has now been discontinued.

I don't know if this is already posted somewhere or not but I figured I would put it in anyways.

Thanks

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i use a chain type oil filter wrench to get these off.
they bite hard! ive never had one give me a problem.
Thanks for the reminder!

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reminder,when i do mine i goto take all the inter cooling piping off PITA,i have three fuel filters im thinking of deleting the engine one

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
i use a chain type oil filter wrench to get these off.
they bite hard! ive never had one give me a problem.
Thanks for the reminder!

No problem man. Yeah I need to get one of those or the rubber belt style for these type of jobs but I have always been lucky and been able to get them off by hand with enough trying. Of course you leave anything on for 25 years and don't touch it, I can see why it wouldn't come off with ease LOL

thanks for the reminder,when i do mine i goto take all the inter cooling piping off PITA,i have three fuel filters im thinking of deleting the engine one

Yeah most tend to do that or go aftermarket since a good deal post about having problems with the factory setup. I obviously have had really good luck with mine but my case isn't really the "norm" for most people owning these trucks now ha.

I know most won't actually be going back with the stock style filter like I am but just in case I figured I would post it. It makes no sense for me to go away from the factory setup at this time as mine works perfect, but when I get another with high miles that I drive a lot, I probably won't be that lucky and in that case will more than likely be going aftermarket.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm flattered that I got a quote in someones signature. ;Sweet