7.3 Factory Turbo IP Removal

Lug Nut

Reaction score
I am in the process of removing the IP on my 93 F250 7.3 factory turbo. I have everything loose but cannot seem to find the right position to get the IP pump out with the fuel lines attached. Can the IP be removed with the fuel lines in place on a Turbo motor like a NA motor ? Do the lines have to be bent (which I would rather not do) to get it out with the turbo in place ? Any help would be appreciated as to the position or angle the pump needs to be in to get the IP and fuel lines out as one unit, if its even possible.

Thanks In Advance.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've never removed an IP without the lines attached to it, but i suppose it could be done. It's not exactly the easiest thing in the world to do to a N/A engine either. Sometimes, you do have to bend the lines slightly. I don't like removing the lines from the pump because, to me, it's easier to attach and remove the lines from the pump with it outside the engine compartment. It's also easier to make sure that you install the lines in the right position too.

Lug Nut

Reaction score
Thanks for the response IDIBronco, much appreciated. I got creative and removed one of the studs that holds the IP pump. That gave me just enough room to wiggle it out.

I do have one other question. Is it advisable to try and fill the pump up with diesel before reinstalling or should you just leave it dry ?

hadley000

Reaction score
There's no way tp pre-prime the IP with diesel. Just crank the engine until it starts, it should only take a 5-10 seconds to get it running, at least with mine it did.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes. You can prime the pump, but you can't exactly prime the lines/injectors.
Well, you can.... by cranking. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Easy to remove the pump with lines attached but the feed line from the filter to pump must be removed first.Once the pump is loose you push it towards the intake air horn inlet. Then shift the drive end towards the passenger side and lift the drive end up thru the mounting studs on the side of the engine. Also make sure the throttle and cruise control cable mount is removed from the intake air horn.

Lug Nut

Reaction score
I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond, thanks. Seems when I removed some of the fittings off the original pump, there was a lot of green stuff (I'm assuming Algae) on the inside of the fittings. The truck doesn't get driven a lot but I always use diesel clean when filling it with diesel. The pump appears to be original, so I don't know if this is just normal build up after 24 plus years or if it is building up from the lack of normal driving. Truck has 165K original miles.

Any ideas on what I can do to keep this green stuff out of the fuel system or products I can use to clean this stuff out of the fuel system ? The injectors and injector lines seem to be free of this green stuff, maybe because of the heat generated in the lines and injectors ?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Get a pic?
While it could be algae, could it be corrosion?
For algae you need a biocide and lots of filters. Personally I would just get a different fuel tank and run new lines. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Lug Nut

Reaction score
Thanks Jasper, I'll see if I can get a pic. I cleaned most of it up on the fittings but am replacing the lift pump too, so more then likely I will find more in the lift pump and the lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online