7.3 engine swap tips

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it sufficient to check the up pipes for leaks or should I reseal them or replace them?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I have the whole engine out and the oil pan off... do y'all think I could weld thE original dip stick adapter to the pan? Just fix this for good?

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also stripped out then up pipe collector trying to remove one of the bolts so I had to bite the bullet and bug the up pipe kit. I wanted bellowed but couldn't get it locally. It fit well though.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to change any gaskets that were difficult with the engine in place. I see though that the oil pan uses a two part sealant from ford. I did find that moroso makes a reusable oil pan gasket. Has anyone used this? It is like $100 for one but if it keeps me from having to turn over the engine on a stand, that I do not possess, them I'm all for it.

What is the condition of the oil pan on the donor engine? If it is solid I would leave it as is, maybe paint it with POR15 for added assurance?

EDIT

saw you already replaced the oil pan and buggered the up pipes.

I like the phrase "fix until broke".

At what point does "preventative replacement" (not maintenance) end up causing more problems and wasting money?

Last edited:

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had that advise a couple of days ago. I already pulled the pan and used the moroso rubber gasket. Fingers crossed I hope it works. It said to torque them to 10-15 ft/lb but even then it was distorting the pan. I'm worried now.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I had that advise a couple of days ago. I already pulled the pan and used the moroso rubber gasket. Fingers crossed I hope it works. It said to torque them to 10-15 ft/lb but even then it was distorting the pan. I'm worried now.

ft/lb or in/lb ? 15 ft lbs seems high for a gasket IMO

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. But I have read others that came to the same conclusion. So I don't know. We will see. Then engine is back in so theirs no going back now!

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the engine is in and it finally fired up. I had to pull the ICP and full the rails with oil and she finally fired. She's not holding pressure on the coolant tester but it's too late to start Diag. But it's a wonder how different this engine is than my old one. I was so used to the noise I cannot believe how smooth the "new" one is. Wow

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the engine is in and it finally fired up. I had to pull the ICP and full the rails with oil and she finally fired. She's not holding pressure on the coolant tester but it's too late to start Diag. But it's a wonder how different this engine is than my old one. I was so used to the noise I cannot believe how smooth the "new" one is. Wow

I can take up to 10-20 miles of driving to get all of the air out of the HPO system.

Also could the coolant system have an air pocket that isn't allowing it to hold pressure? I would drive it at operating temp for a while until trying to check the coolant system again.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be putting it through it's paces today. I will report back.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good. Runs great. The high pressure oil is already starting to purge the bubbles as it almost starts normally and I only started driving it tonight.
I am tracking a small leak right below and behind the crank pulley but time will tel that story. Thank you all for your help with this endeavor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online