7.3 engine swap tips

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am having coolant consuming issues with my truck and it is not exhibiting any of the normal symptoms. So because we can't nail down the exact source without pulling I
Injectors, and because upon pulling the valve covers i noticed large amounts of blow by and injectors that were spirting out inconsistent amounts of oil, I have decided to swap out the engine entirely. I have found a local guy that wrecked his late 97 daily driver and is selling me the whole truck for $1200. And it has 125,000 less miles than mine with freshly tested injectors and little blow by.
So long story short I need to know y'all's input on what to swap or replace while the engine is out. Anything that is a pain to do with the engine In the truck.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and please tell me if I'm nuts, but this truck is an auto truck and mine is a manual. Am I crazy to think about swapping to the auto!? I have some medical issue that prevent me from driving my manual truck two or three times a year.
Btw my truck is a 1995 f350 4x4 CClb 7.3 zf5.
The donor is a 1997 f250 4x4 ext can lb 7.3 auto

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check the oil pan to make sure it's not rotting away.

Whatever transmission works best for you, go with it.

You could probably sell the zf5 swap stuff for more than you paid for the entire truck.

Unless you tow heavy the E4OD is "good enough" behind a 7.3

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well honestly I would love to switch but I prolly won't yet. I need the truck running too badly.
So the 95-97 isn't a direct swap!? Please tel me it's close.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
They are direct-swap, basically. Every year of the 7.3 PSD had minor refinements. Read the pdf book. I was usually trying to put the later bits on my '95. (i.e. the oil cooler check valves weren't properly secured on older ones.

The split-shot injectors may require a different computer. Not sure if all 97s were split or not.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok how will I know about the split shot. I say that because I can't use the old computer as it it an auto

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok how will I know about the split shot. I say that because I can't use the old computer as it it an auto

97 would only be split-shot if it was a california emissions, which would be stated on the label under the hood.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
while its out replace all the o rings and gaskets in the motor including the ones behind the front cover, also the furl bowl orings and the hpop.o rings also recomend the hp oil rail plugs at least at the backside of the head.
rebuild the oil cooler also.
I would even throw a new low pressure oil pump on.
check all pulleys and waterpump too.
also a good time to gut the ebv if you want also easier to put a3" down pipe in if not already done.
if ya go with the auto check the flexplate for cracks or throw a new one at it
I probably one of the few that like my built autos vrs a 5 speed

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well in my research it takes quite a lot to swap to auto from manual. I am speaking of the wiring harnesses. From what I read I have to get every harness, engine, Tranny, and can harnesses. Is that the case to do the swap? Right now I'm just swapping the engine but down the road I want to go automatic.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Well in my research it takes quite a lot to swap to auto from manual. I am speaking of the wiring harnesses. From what I read I have to get every harness, engine, Tranny, and can harnesses. Is that the case to do the swap? Right now I'm just swapping the engine but down the road I want to go automatic.

Actually its easier than you think. Keep the manual wiring and PCM. Use an aftermarket tranny controller.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked but can't differentiate between a controller that helps the Tranny like a trans command and a stand alone unit

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
doesn't seem like a big deal since you'll have the transmission harness from the donor truck

actually when you want to go to an auto you might get a good enough price for your manual transmission PSD to roll into an automatic tranny truck (maybe even newer....SD?)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01