7.3 Engine Overhaul

kessig4x4

Reaction score
Hey i have a 7.3 idi engine with turbo, headstuds etc. and i havent pulled the engine to inspect but somewhere along the line i burnt a valve up or blew the head gasket between 2 cylinders maybe. Im really looking to find out if these engines are worth taking to the machine shop and going 10 over on pistons to freshen everything up? I feel like ive heard a lot of issues with cavitation and thin cylinder walls not allowing this. I already have the studs for a 7.3l and would rather not go back to a 6.9l now and have to scrap my studs and buy new ones. But id really like to get this engine to where i dont need to touch it for a long time again.

The current engine was making the 'chuffing' sound every now and than. It didnt seem too bad and didnt have the availability to pull the engine. It has gotten to the point that the cranking speed slows when it gets to that cylinder and when it runs the whole truck will shake when it is doing it and now it started running hot when going down the highway. I would like to keep it IDI but i havent seen any promising used engines in a long time.
Thanks for any input

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess you gave your answer already yourself...
Point is, any other engine you buy, you never know for sure in what condition it is.
might be better, might be not.
With the engine you already have, you know it's past, maintenance etc.
So if you go to throw some money at it, you know that with what you do to it, that will be done good (I assume), and normally you don't have to look at that again (for a while).

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had up to 0.40 over but it didn’t last long. 0.30 over is max international spec for the 7.3. .10 over should be fine. If you just have a blown head gasket then replace the head gasket. That’s a big jump in money and time to start machining if everything else is fine.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Support your local machine shop, Rebuild your existing 7.3. Let them tell you if it is too far gone for a rebuild, worst case, you may end up sleeving a hole or two. You will always be better off in the long run using what you have and what you know fits, then trying to basterdize something else.

I am rebuilding a 7.3 junkyard block right now that I had to take 0.020" over.

Bart F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that if one or more cilinders have developed a leak due to cavitation, you always can put a sleeve in that cilinder.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In our current supply chain situation, you want to make sure you have a set of pistons before you pull the trigger on over boring. It would suck to bore and hone +.020" only to find +.030" pistons were all that was available. Any way you look at it right now though, it sounds like the heads need to come off so you can see what's going on and assess it.

kessig4x4

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys i guess i oughta get the ball rolling and get the engine out to see what exactly is going on. And ive been told by any machinist ive dealt with they need the pistons before theyll machine it to make sure its actually firmt to what im using so i would absolutely make sure of that. The trucks been sitting a while now as i have aquired 2 other fird diesels since and been busy with life. Was my daily for a few years. At this point if the engine is out for me to find the issue i would love to get it machined and have some confidence in the engine i put back in and get the thing back to 100% again.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at CL in NJ. this morning when I first read this thread. Found 2 I think in Ann Harbor, Mi. I think it was.

Here is one probably not too far from where you are now that just came up.

Now I don`t know the area back there or how far away you are from these. Never been in that area.

This s listed as a ZF-5 spd, but 7.3 Engine is available also.

Goat

Last edited: