1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7.3 Bronco in the making

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Ryan Cruze, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Ryan Cruze

Ryan Cruze Registered User

I've owned a couple broncos and blazers over the last 17 years, but none were ever in good enough shape to pull an engine swap. I made the score of the century this past spring when a '96 5.8 Eddie Bauer Bronco fell into my lap for 400 bucks (Lucky to say the least). I drove it home with the e4od transmission stuck in 2nd and garaged it. Now I have hatched a scheme well over my self-taught-mechanic abilities with acquiring an '88 f-250 with the 7.3L idi Diesel engine. I want to make a full power-train swap of the 351 and auto trans, and put the 7.3L in the Bronco along with the s 5-42 manual transmission. (Also Have Dana 60's from a '99 f-350). It's a pretty ambitious plan, and through what research I have gathered I should be in for a fair amount of modifications, but I've seen some encouragement, and with a whole bunch of advice, I'm sure it will get done... I've just recently acquired the donor trucks and I'm finally ready to start mapping out this build. Stoked to be posting up about things as it comes along...

IMG_3977.jpg

2. Mike Rush

Mike Rush Registered User

Good idea! Cruise around the 6.9/7.3 IDI section of the forum. There is a member that has a S/N something to the effect of "IDI Bronco"

I'm new here myself, but noticed it while reading an thread about an IDI overhaul the other night.

3. saburai

saburai Supporting Member Supporting Member

Welcome! You're in good company. We've got IDIBRONCO, IDITravelall and the Wee Bastard:cheers:

4. Danielle

Danielle I'm kind of not allowed any more trucks! Supporting Member

Welcome! I'm putting my IDI 4 door back together at a snail's pace but one day! Hope to see a build thread!

5. mckenziedg

mckenziedg Registered User

Very ambitious indeed! Nice score for $400 bucks...around here that would get you a piece of Swiss cheese on 4 balled tires claiming "it ran when I parked it"

Good luck with the swap, that Bronco will be sweet when you finish it up.