7.3 ATS '91 Engine: what's it worth?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Gang! Much to my relief I found a local junkyard in our new AO that is also filled with diesel, many of the Ford persuasion! Bunch of cool stuff, the guys are really friendly and I'm just starting to dig around but one of the things that caught my eye was this engine so, what do you think it's worth? Allegedly, it ran but had considerable blow-by when they parked. Not sure of the mileage...
You must be registered for see images attach
the truck. I pulled the dipstick and oil was sludgy and the dipstick was chewed up...

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That motor has blown up. Something has been swinging around and chewing the Dipstick. Broken rod or???

groovemonster

Reaction score
As a parts motor it's worth 200-300.
It looks like a major project to rebuild. And it may have significant problems such as a cracked block. If you could eliminate some of the worst case possibilities and Know its a solid core, maybe 500.

Just my humble opinion.

jrollf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get the injectors and or the injector pump super cheap... I believe Wess over at Classic Diesel Design is paying for cores.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throw him $500 and I'll come get the truck with my trailer LOL

On a serious note, I'm curious what he would want for that air cleaner assembly. Looks like an 088 kit, which I have but missing parts.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throw him $500 and I'll come get the truck with my trailer LOL

On a serious note, I'm curious what he would want for that air cleaner assembly. Looks like an 088 kit, which I have but missing parts.

He might go for it, and I'd sure like to see you!

When @Thewespaul comes through with my intercooler set up, my air box will be up for sale...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He might go for it, and I'd sure like to see you!

When @Thewespaul comes through with my intercooler set up, my air box will be up for sale...

Factory air box won't fit the 088 if I recall correctly unfortunately. Shame it's buried in the weeds because I need a downpipe too haha. I was supposed to get one from a member in Canada until Fauci locked us down -cuss

I'm drooling over that truck, but it's not worth having to sleep in the camper all winter because the wife is mad I brought another one home LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll check in the downpipe. You want me to inquire about the airbox? Anything else?

Well, I'll list what I need, and whatever you find out just let me know. Frankly I would consider the whole turbo setup, but if that engine grenaded the turbo probably injested some unhealthy shiny metal flake oil....

Downpipe
Oil feed line
Crossover
Air cleaner
The little elbow that feeds the CDR, I think it's mounted on the front of the IP gear housing on this model.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll list what I need, and whatever you find out just let me know. Frankly I would consider the whole turbo setup, but if that engine grenaded the turbo probably injested some unhealthy shiny metal flake oil....

Downpipe
Oil feed line
Crossover
Air cleaner
The little elbow that feeds the CDR, I think it's mounted on the front of the IP gear housing on this model.

If the guy is around I will stop over there tomorrow. I'll check some stuff out and feel him out for price. The crossover might be difficult there's no front suspension! And, it might be rotted out. Incidentally, I checked the turbo when I first looked at it it's spun nicely and didn't seem to have any side play in and out movement. What are you will to go for the turbo, induction, CDR and oil line?

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the guy is around I will stop over there tomorrow. I'll check some stuff out and feel him out for price. The crossover might be difficult there's no front suspension! And, it might be rotted out. Incidentally, I checked the turbo when I first looked at it it's spun nicely and didn't seem to have any side play in and out movement. What are you will to go for the turbo, induction, CDR and oil line?

I'm not really sure. Things are pretty tight right now but if you can get an idea what he'll want I'll see what I can do. I'm in no hurry if it matters. I wouldn't pay a whole lot for the turbo since I do have one, and since the engine shows signs of damage, but prices are all over and if it's cheap I'd probably scoop it up.