7.3 6.9 IDI Injection pump play or loose?

Jbone36

Reaction score
Hey all quick question. Im swapping a 6.9 into a truck that was a 7.3. a ot of the parts from the 7.3 came with the truck minus the engine so being newer parts i decided to replace the old 6.9 injection pump with the newer 7.3 , mainly because it looks to be much newer as well as the electronic TPS matched the E40d trans and the old 6.9 came from a bus with vacuum.

Well i got it installed and when i went to tighten the three 12 point 8mm bolts in the front i noticed even after tightening down there is significant play.

Then I checked the old one and it has play but not nearly as much..please see vid here:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks for the input.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good golly miss molly that's a lot of play. The boys here that have more experience than I do will be able to tell you for sure but I see why you'd ask...wow. I've only ever handled about 5 pumps and 3 of them were bad rebuilds so I cant help much unfortunately.
But I like how you edited the video to pause with the text so it was really clear which pump was which. Nice work

Jbone36

Reaction score
Thanks..Im hoping someone actually says sure thats normal..lol,,im almost ready after fighting with the turbo to put it in..Im debating just going back to the old pump and having a go at swapping the TDS over from the newer one. Could be worth piece of mind...somewhat

Jbone36

Reaction score
First one is normal, second is a core. I wouldn’t run it unless you have too. Looks like a thrust bearing failure
thanks for the input..looks like ill be pulling it back out and keeping it for road emergency. Just to be clear were not talking about thrust bearing failure at the crankshaft right?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, thrust bearing on the injection pump. You shouldn’t have end play like that

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Won't the timing gear bounce around unless the bolts on the back are tightened?

Did you put the 3 9/16 nuts behind the injection pump cover on?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t see the pump moving, so I assumed they were on, but the gear will move around a bit which is normal. The pump shouldn’t allow it to flap in the breeze once they are connected

Jbone36

Reaction score
thanks again..everything was tightened up "3 9\16 on pump and 3 8mm 12 point in front" ive conceeded to pull it and put back the old manual 6.9 pump. Right now im researching what needs to get swapped over to the manual 6,9 pump from the E40D 7.3 pump. Im reading TPS or "Fipl" and also a little actuator that is held on with set screws to the pump shaft I cant seem to find. Im worried about throwing the TPS out of adjustment but hey got to learn sometime.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TPS is easy to adjust, there is a tech article on it, or you can google “fipl adjustment”

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You'll have to drive out the pin that works the VRV (vacuum part) on the original pump in order to use the adapter for the FIPL.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have to tear into a few pumps and figure out how to fix this. Got several 'running' pumps that do this - they still work, but the big problem is that much slack changes the timing going from accel to decel - under normal conditions, it will stay in the same position, held there by the fact that the gears are angle-cut; decelerate, and the force lessens on the gears, even to the point of it "pushing" on the IP gear. Really interesting to watch when revving the engine with the front cover off so you can see it moving in and out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
tHATS WORN OUT. cHANGING THE TPS IS SIMPLE BUT...jUST MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE DRIVE TANG ON THE END OF THE THROTTLE SHAFT AND INSTALL IT on the new pump exactly. If it is not installed in the same orientation the tps will over travel and break at wide open throttle.PLEASE take pictures for piece of mind with cell phone. Not needed pics are easily deleted

Jbone36

Reaction score
IDIBRONCO thanks and Canfixall I appreciate the heads up..ill do some research on the drive tang and how to swap em. i got the old pump reinstalled and wanna say thanks for all the help, Im gunna make another dumb question post soon :) heres a vid of the play unbolted and old pump reinstalled.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
thanks again people

Jbone36

Reaction score
Looks like I'm going to have to tear into a few pumps and figure out how to fix this. Got several 'running' pumps that do this - they still work, but the big problem is that much slack changes the timing going from accel to decel - under normal conditions, it will stay in the same position, held there by the fact that the gears are angle-cut; decelerate, and the force lessens on the gears, even to the point of it "pushing" on the IP gear. Really interesting to watch when revving the engine with the front cover off so you can see it moving in and out.
how long you have some running this way?..im thinking about stowing this one away for rainy day in case it well...rains..when you say changes timing, is it considerably and i wonder what are the repercussions of running it that way? seems creepy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VWAudiFord

Members online