6 speed

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
will a 6spd bolt up or not
what do i need to do to accomplish this
what im trying to buy is a 93 cummins engine its in a ford truck with no trans and thats the direction that i think i need to go with the 6spd

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes, a six speed will bolt up to the back of one of our motors.
but.....everything else is very intensive fab work and engineering.
six speeds only offer finer splits between gears. the final ratio is almost the same as the 5speed. you may very well be better off going all the way with a dodge NV5600 instead there will be less graft work.
rear end ratio is the key to making a cummins work in a ford chassis.
with no OD, the rear ratio on a dodge is 3.08
with OD the rear ratio on the dodge is 3.42
your closest with a ford is a 3.55 unless you go semi float rear and that is 3.08.
throughly cornfused yet?

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
yes, a six speed will bolt up to the back of one of our motors.
but.....everything else is very intensive fab work and engineering.
six speeds only offer finer splits between gears. the final ratio is almost the same as the 5speed. you may very well be better off going all the way with a dodge NV5600 instead there will be less graft work.
rear end ratio is the key to making a cummins work in a ford chassis.
with no OD, the rear ratio on a dodge is 3.08
with OD the rear ratio on the dodge is 3.42
your closest with a ford is a 3.55 unless you go semi float rear and that is 3.08.
throughly cornfused yet?

not a all cornfused makes sence and im definatly running a semi float rear end not gonna happen
ya i was just wondering if i could find a 6spd before a 5spd
thanks towcat greatly apperciated

Whit

Reaction score
flywheel and clutch are different.........nv4500 is 12 inch and the 5600 is 13.5"

tranny will bolt right up though

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so just to make it clear to people as foggy as i,,, a six speed tranny from a ford psd will bolt up to the idi with no adapter plate??? sorry for my ignorance

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
flywheel and clutch are different.........nv4500 is 12 inch and the 5600 is 13.5"

tranny will bolt right up though

so if i get a flywheel for a nv5600 and clutch i should be good
but i think im going to be better off with the 5spd and probably cheeper too

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alot of people I talk too with the 6th, ***** its really only a 3 speed, 2nd 4th 6th.. they say Granny is only necessary for starting a REALLY heavy load, and 3rd and 5th are so close to the others, skipping them in a normal shift pattern, town traffic, etc. is actually less work.

Plus ther is a thread over on another diesel site about some of the internals for nv5600 (Dodge 6 speed) that aren't available...

Making th NV 4500 (Dodge 5 speed) the more logical choice, same exact 4500 was also used in gas trucks, from the 6 cylinder up, so they are plentiful.

ramchargerman

Reaction score
www.destroked.com
they have parts to run the zf behind the cummins

the nv 5600 will work behind the cummins, with the right adapter plate on the back of the motor. toxic diesel built a club cab short bed p pumped 1st gen with a 6 speed. well until it spun 6th and then 5th gear out of it. 10,000 lbs trailer and i want to say about 60 lbs of boost . . .

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on what adapter plate is on the back of your engine currently, you may have to buy the correct plate, flywheel, clutch, starter, etc to mate what ever trans you decide on. For the narrow power band of a Cummins, the 6 speed is fantastic. For the guys complaining about having to skip gears, they must not tow with their trucks. The 6 speed splits are perfect for towing, maybe not so much for commuting. If you are going to just commute and play, a 5 speed or auto may be better for you. If you want to work the truck hard (especially if towing in mountains), get a 6 speed.
Travis..

Links56

Reaction score
Depends what 6 speed you are talking about. I put a eaton-fuller 6 speed from a F800 Ford in my 1 ton dually. Couldn't be more happy.

Links56

Reaction score
sure do!!!!
You must be registered for see images attach

I made the tranny mount off of the old one I had on the automatic. The crossmember I made from a piece of allis chalmers frame.

Had to raise the body about 6-8 inches to get it to fit. I didn't raise the bed because my gooseneck ball and stacks and stuff. No one notices unless I tell them anyway.

This is an remote either adapter from a John Deere 4020 or 310 back hoe. Pretty neat so you can either from the cab of the truck.

It's pretty neat I can pull what ever I want and with the 2 disk clutch I should never wear it out.