6.9 Superduty

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You. What exactly are the OBD emissions of a 2001 F250 diesel? I think it was just an air intake charge temperature sensor.

When I did these tests in Atlanta, we plugged in and it essentially checked for any pending or existing codes (the vehicle had to have run all diagnostics without throwing any codes), which also meant ensuring things hadn't been taken off the motor that the epa required (they constantly work on that monitoring). We were supposed to visually verify cats were on the vehicle too. There was a different test for earlier vehicles.

I don't know the details but you'd have to jump through some registration hoops, if they'd let you, to drive it in an area with those tests, unless you know some computer magic. If these tests become more common I can certainly see someone smart creating a 'test beater' computer. Although it wouldn't be legal.

Not your question but worth knowing. I love the idea of this swap. In the heavier vehicle, I would go hypermax, moose, and typ4's cam to offset the higher weight (since you're building the motor), if it's in the budget. I would also do a lot more refining to the motor, blue printing if possible. But all $$$ dependent. Do what makes you happy for your budget. You're being daring with this and spending a little to put this motor in, but it will be a cool vehicle.

Personally, in the interest of keeping things clean and preventing further issue, I would want to just do a standalone controller. Set it up once and set it up right, plus you'd have more controllability. I've seen used ones pop up might be worth looking for.

Will be watching this build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here it is so far, and the truck in background..

Last edited:

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since I'm in Vegas, I'd like to se this thing soon. I'm one of those that likes being different and painted my engine Cat yellow a few months back but many people didn't like it. After my recent motor swap, I went back with grey. I really like the Detroit green though, looks nice.
I'm happy with my Hypermax turbo and it has a much nicer sound than the old Banks that was on my truck that we just tore down. I'm running mine straight piped.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took the oil pan back off. My brother is tig welding an oil temperature sender bung to the side of it..

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since I'm in Vegas, I'd like to se this thing soon. I'm one of those that likes being different and painted my engine Cat yellow a few months back but many people didn't like it. After my recent motor swap, I went back with grey. I really like the Detroit green though, looks nice.
I'm happy with my Hypermax turbo and it has a much nicer sound than the old Banks that was on my truck that we just tore down. I'm running mine straight piped.

This one here i used the ARP studs as well, with Stellite exhaust valves and 7.3 rocker arms.. Cant wait to fire her up. I'm not sure if I will run a straight pipe or not. Will a muffler still give you some turbo sound? I did have the turbo rebuilt as well by Abe..

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one here i used the ARP studs as well, with Stellite exhaust valves and 7.3 rocker arms.. Cant wait to fire her up. I'm not sure if I will run a straight pipe or not. Will a muffler still give you some turbo sound? I did have the turbo rebuilt as well by Abe..

I prefer running straight but have a newer high flow muffler sitting out in the garage, you can have it if you want it.
It has 3" connections, I think the brand is Magnaflow.

I just swapped a 6.9 into my 89 and am running head studs and 7.3 rockers in it as well. I really like the 6.9 over the 7.3

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer running straight but have a newer high flow muffler sitting out in the garage, you can have it if you want it.
It has 3" connections, I think the brand is Magnaflow.

I just swapped a 6.9 into my 89 and am running head studs and 7.3 rockers in it as well. I really like the 6.9 over the 7.3

Thanks that would be great if you don't want it

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Great engine color. BTW I have that same engine stand and it works ok but. Its id is so heavy I have a difficult time rotating the engine even with a long bar and the heads greased heavily. Maybe towcat will post up a pic of his factory engine stand. That thing is a beast with a gear box on the head to make turning the engine over simple. The factory stands were designed to hold the idi engines by the side motor mount if you want to. Or by the bellhousing like most engine stands do. Why are you running the stellite exhaust valves? I do not believe they are made up of all stellite. I think they are just a stellite hardfacing weld at the seat area but not sure. I feel if they were complete stellite they would be expensive and brittle. Nice to see this nearly ready to drop in and run. Do you have a 2 inch body lift so you have more room at the firewall from the turbo.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great engine color. BTW I have that same engine stand and it works ok but. Its id is so heavy I have a difficult time rotating the engine even with a long bar and the heads greased heavily. Maybe towcat will post up a pic of his factory engine stand. That thing is a beast with a gear box on the head to make turning the engine over simple. The factory stands were designed to hold the idi engines by the side motor mount if you want to. Or by the bellhousing like most engine stands do. Why are you running the stellite exhaust valves? I do not believe they are made up of all stellite. I think they are just a stellite hardfacing weld at the seat area but not sure. I feel if they were complete stellite they would be expensive and brittle. Nice to see this nearly ready to drop in and run. Do you have a 2 inch body lift so you have more room at the firewall from the turbo.

yes, Stellite faced valves. I was going to try without a lift first. And Yes, that engine stand is hard to rotate as well..