6.9 Superduty

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The V10 case should be a 4R100. Top of the case will have two sensors TSS and OSS. No sensors it will be the 98 modular engine case (v8-V10)I would use it as a door stop. The parts are worth nothing for your build.

All 4R100 are PWM units. This feature can be removed with programming and pump mods.

ok cool, thanks a lot. I will use the diesel 4r100 then if both the truck PCM and trans are PWM. The V10 has no top sensors, it came from a 1997 or 98 V10 van

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
If he wants to put a 6.9 in a Superduty, or even in a VW bug, we should not try to convince him of other routes, the more of these engines are on the road the better off we all are. In no way does pushing a cummins into it's place help us. Only helpful advice please.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
If he wants to put a 6.9 in a Superduty, or even in a VW bug, we should not try to convince him of other routes, the more of these engines are on the road the better off we all are. In no way does pushing a cummins into it's place help us. Only helpful advice please.
Who's "pushing" cummins? Its a FACT that a superduty weights more than a slant, brick, or obs truck. Its also a FACT that an idi can barely get out of its own way in its factory wrapper and tunes. But, as said before they where not made to be powerhouses, rather good dependable workhorses and simplistic daily drivers. Nobody is arguing or demoralizing him for his choice of engine, just going over the options he has. Ok, back on topic since you look like you got it figured out now of and honestly it will be a unique build. What kind of turbo are you planning on going with? (Considering you want one)

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
I went back in the thread and read you have a hypermax kit. Good deal as they sound amazing, the best IMO. I dunno why everybody keeps bringing up cummins? I know I mentioned it earlier but if you'll look a mention a psd first. Is it because im a Cummins owner? Because if you'll read my signature you'll see pretty plainly im not an idi/psd hater. I just love my cummins

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2001 regular cab 4x4 superduty will a junk 5.4 that i'm going to swap my 6.9 turbo IDI into. However, i would to know if someone has experience with the 4R100 electronics. I have the diesel version 4R100 thats going in. Will it shift properly , all else being equal, except the engine, or will i need a sensor off the gas engine to make it shift?
I don't understand the need to stay with the 4R100 when it is the updated version of the E4DOA(E4OD). I do have experience in putting in E4DOA behind IDI's and overall, it is a standalone plug-n-play with few outside inputs. I do know the '96 and newer E4DOA has revised their pin positions in the computer, so they are not compatible without the proper wiring. If it was up to me on this project, I'd be going for the simpler route in using a existing IDI auto harness and brain.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the need to stay with the 4R100 when it is the updated version of the E4DOA(E4OD). I do have experience in putting in E4DOA behind IDI's and overall, it is a standalone plug-n-play with few outside inputs. I do know the '96 and newer E4DOA has revised their pin positions in the computer, so they are not compatible without the proper wiring. If it was up to me on this project, I'd be going for the simpler route in using a existing IDI auto harness and brain.

That's what i was thinking of doing as well, however, the superduty brain has a higher pin count than the OBS brain, so i'm pretty much stuck using the superduty brain. I guess im going to just have to get everything plugged in and give it a try. If the transmission doesn't shift properly , i'll try a few sensor mods, if that doesn't work, i'll get an aftermarket controller, I guess. Or like you said, try to wire an E4OD setup in. I would like to keep the 4R100 , though.. One way or another, something's going in there..

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what i was thinking of doing as well, however, the superduty brain has a higher pin count than the OBS brain, so i'm pretty much stuck using the superduty brain. I guess im going to just have to get everything plugged in and give it a try. If the transmission doesn't shift properly , i'll try a few sensor mods, if that doesn't work, i'll get an aftermarket controller, I guess. Or like you said, try to wire an E4OD setup in. I would like to keep the 4R100 , though.. One way or another, something's going in there..
keep us posted then.
i just pulled apart a '94 f450 with a E4DOA harness and ECM. It's yours for the cost of pack and ship if you need it to make this project happen. the only requirement is you must post many pics of the progress of the project. :D

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

You're better off with a stand alone controller. PCS or Bauman. This will allow you to fine tune the tranny to work with the engine. The factory TCM is nothing but a bandaid to make the E4OD work.

The 4R100 is the better of the units. The 6.9 will have a hard time breaking a stock unit. The E4OD will need some dollars tossed at it.

Hans13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about a zf5? Seems way simpler and reliable (Seeing as that's what you're going for with the engine anyway.) Looking forward to seeing this build!

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going.to.use the standard but automatic has more leg room for a standard. Cab truck, and I already have a 4r100..

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I talked to TX DPS last year and I was told that swapping an older engine into a new one is fine on pre-OBD, pre-emissions trucks. If you swap a pre-OBD engine into a OBD vehicle you will be fine until they start checking for OBD compliance. Then you will have a problem. He would not answer any questions about it when it would happen, but said that all the guys putting 12-valves into late model trucks will not get stickers. From what I understand, compliance just means the computer is there, reporting engine operation, and is the proper version for the year model.

This is what I was told *for TX*. They probably won't tell you anything more than what they told me, but check first. That's a lot of work to go through for a big disappointment at the inspection station.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You. What exactly are the OBD emissions of a 2001 F250 diesel? I think it was just an air intake charge temperature sensor.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank You. What exactly are the OBD emissions of a 2001 F250 diesel? I think it was just an air intake charge temperature sensor.

They must be going to plug into the computer system as part of the emissions/sticker tests. If they plug in and get a lot of codes or can't talk to it at all, it will be a fail.

Arizona is bad for this. My daughter was living there and has a 94 Bonneville. It's one of those GM OBD 1.5 cars that no one can seem to hook up to. She has been having a intermittent check engine light and had to make sure it was off before she took it or it would not pass. I have got myself one of those old Snap On MT2500 scanners and if I get the correct key I think I can talk to it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They must be going to plug into the computer system as part of the emissions/sticker tests. If they plug in and get a lot of codes or can't talk to it at all, it will be a fail.

Arizona is bad for this. My daughter was living there and has a 94 Bonneville. It's one of those GM OBD 1.5 cars that no one can seem to hook up to. She has been having a intermittent check engine light and had to make sure it was off before she took it or it would not pass. I have got myself one of those old Snap On MT2500 scanners and if I get the correct key I think I can talk to it.

This is one of the big reasons I back dated truck and all besides just liking the bricknose trucks. I was originally going to find a clean truck and build a fummins out the gate. The emissions Nazis will eventually catch up to the 12V swap guys. Technically speaking, it is against federal EPA law to swap any engine into any vehicle that it would not have been available in from the manufacturer. The only exception to that is if you are building a "clone" of a vehicle that would have existed. The reason people have gotten by with it is it is up to the state to interpet and enforce the law. Most states don't screw with diesel pick-ups but as they do... this will be a problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online