6.9 Superduty

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Even if they test the truck as a diesel, a 6.9 will NEVER pass the test for a 7.3 psd.

All they look for here is opacity. So long as it it below 40% (1991 and newer requirement) they don't care what makes the smoke... or even what color the smoke is.

that's directly from the emissions tech.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
And here they don't even do that, they pay NO attention to diesel emissions. You can black out the shop and pass or be fine tuned and they wouldn't say a thing.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I was so pissed when I moved here. I didn't have to smog it in cali... and yet I do here?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
turbo it and tune it so it dont smoke a wastegated ats will make 10 psi of smoke free boost with the right timing fuel adjustment and wastegate adjustment, it wont be as powerful but it will pass, after it passes crank the fuel back up

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
turbo it and tune it so it dont smoke a wastegated ats will make 10 psi of smoke free boost with the right timing fuel adjustment and wastegate adjustment, it wont be as powerful but it will pass, after it passes crank the fuel back up

What he said.... But why would you put a 6.9 in there? When you can simply change the wiring harness/engine mounts and have a 7.3 psd sittin in there. Or even swap a 12 valve Cummins in there? Because the way im seeing it a 6.9 is never gonna make as much power.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What he said.... But why would you put a 6.9 in there? When you can simply change the wiring harness/engine mounts and have a 7.3 psd sittin in there. Or even swap a 12 valve Cummins in there? Because the way im seeing it a 6.9 is never gonna make as much power.

6.9 is my favorite engine , 500 ft lbs is enough for me anyway

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
500 ft lbs is asking ALOT of a 6.9. Don't get me wrong I love mine, but I really only dream of 4 and change once I'm turbo'd cammed and moosed.

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
500 ft lbs is a built psd, look up an id's specs.. it'll hurt your feelings. The fact of the matter is they where built in a different time when diesels in light duty trucks were just being born. That being said they are some of the best dang engines ever built, not powerhouses by no means but extremely reliable

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
500 ft lbs is a built psd, look up an id's specs.. it'll hurt your feelings. The fact of the matter is they where built in a different time when diesels in light duty trucks were just being born. That being said they are some of the best dang engines ever built, not powerhouses by no means but extremely reliable

Well im looking at least 440 lbs with my Hypermax turbo, which is enough for a standard cab truck to me. Another reason i went with the 6.9 is because I already have most of the parts to do the job, and dont went to spend a ton of money buying a cummins and a conversion kit to stick it in there, and even someone buying a kit to put an IDI in will be half the price of a cummins, i'm sure.. Thats why they are my favorite, not much call for them, but still hell of an engine with a turbo. Im putting the IDI together as we speak, little by little. The turbo is at the shop now getting a rebuild.. I even have a new pump and injectors that i have not used yet, still in the box from a few years ago. I have about 3 sets of heads and ARP head studs and about 24 connecting rods as well..Also, i have a clunkin Cummins powered dodge in my driveway with a bad head gasket and a few washed cylinders. They are good engines too, but still love the smoothness and sound of the IDI better, when driving. i always seem to come back to the sound and reliability of the IDI..

Last edited:

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be an A-hole on here, but i just asked a question about my transmission electronics, and now it seems the thread turned into a "this engine or that engine has more power" thread..

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but still love the smoothness and sound of the IDI better, when driving. i always seem to come back to the sound and reliability of the IDI..

I have only owned this IDI, but I hear the others and just love the sound of mine.;Sweet Even w/o a turbo!!!!:sly

7.3_IDI_guy

Currently ******'
Reaction score
First off, you wanna part out that cummins... pm me. Secondly the way I see it the only option you have is a standalone computer(if you tranny will even bolt up)

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the trans will bolt up for sure , I even have the 4 bolt converter to use with the IDI flywheel. I also have an E4OD diesel case and V10 E4OD trans that I may combine if I need a standalone . I was really hoping somehow if just utilizing the factory PCM somehow with the diesel 4R100 . I know it's been done by others in the past . I do know the diesel 4R100 has a PWM lockup, I'm not sure about the 5.4. 4R100 in the truck now .

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Yes the trans will bolt up for sure , I even have the 4 bolt converter to use with the IDI flywheel. I also have an E4OD diesel case and V10 E4OD trans that I may combine if I need a standalone . I was really hoping somehow if just utilizing the factory PCM somehow with the diesel 4R100 . I know it's been done by others in the past . I do know the diesel 4R100 has a PWM lockup, I'm not sure about the 5.4. 4R100 in the truck now .

The V10 case should be a 4R100. Top of the case will have two sensors TSS and OSS. No sensors it will be the 98 modular engine case (v8-V10)I would use it as a door stop. The parts are worth nothing for your build.

All 4R100 are PWM units. This feature can be removed with programming and pump mods.