6.9 Superduty

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your cold advance is working you could try running a jumper to it and taking it down the road just see if the butt dyno notices a difference. With your timing that retarded, that sounds like a recipe for high egt's.

Yes i just bought a better timing gun to check it again. I am using the luminosity probe with a battery operated inductive adapter to use a timing light. What is the exact process with this set up? Thanks

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lumy timing is different than pulse. Pulse timing is 6-9.5 ish before TDC. I think the lumy is after TDC but off hand I don't know how many degrees. There may be something in the tech articles. Most guys do pulse method. I haven't seen a lumy probe for timing lights. I'm no timing guru. Might be worth posting a new thread to get the best answer.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, right now with the luminous timing, the line is almost at the 0 mark , maybe a 1/4 inch retarded. This is with the timing light set at 0. I do not have a retarding timing light.. Is this ok?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The camper is only 2000lbs and the truck weighs roughly 7000. I have checked the timing and found it was just a hair advanced. I adjusted it to spec and it is still kinda flat on power. I would think this setup with 4.56 gears and 33 inch tires, the IDI turbo would do much better. Is it just the nature of the beast?

There is performance left on the table for sure. I haul a 32 foot fifth wheel with my crew cab. Truck and camper were roughly 17,000lbs on CAT scales. I can typically haul at 65-70mph and use OD frequently. EGT's stay less than 950 even when pulling a hill (but I don't load the crap out of the IDI either, I downshift and keep the RPM >2250). I have 3.55's and 33 inch tires.

Don't get me wrong, I lose speed on big hills. Have major speed loss going up mountains. However, it's no uncommon for me to drive close to 50-100 miles and never shift out of overdrive if the road isn't one hill after another. It does a great job hauling the camper for a 30 year old rig.

Suggestions:
Timing 8.5-9.5 BTDC
Moose Pump
Moose injectors
Intercooler
Moose turbo (made a very noticeable difference in my EGT's and soot out the exhaust).

Heath

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is performance left on the table for sure. I haul a 32 foot fifth wheel with my crew cab. Truck and camper were roughly 17,000lbs on CAT scales. I can typically haul at 65-70mph and use OD frequently. EGT's stay less than 950 even when pulling a hill (but I don't load the crap out of the IDI either, I downshift and keep the RPM >2250). I have 3.55's and 33 inch tires.

Don't get me wrong, I lose speed on big hills. Have major speed loss going up mountains. However, it's no uncommon for me to drive close to 50-100 miles and never shift out of overdrive if the road isn't one hill after another. It does a great job hauling the camper for a 30 year old rig.

Suggestions:
Timing 8.5-9.5 BTDC
Moose Pump
Moose injectors
Intercooler
Moose turbo (made a very noticeable difference in my EGT's and soot out the exhaust).

Heath
3.55s and 33 's doing 70 nice. Mine is 4.56 doing 65 in OD and straining on the slightest hill. I think I will open the exhaust up straight and remove the CAT as well. i'm still using the gas CAT, maybe part of the problem

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah you need to ditch that.probably plugged right up by now.with a turbo you need at least a 3" diameter pipe as well,preferably 3.5".

walker big truck muffler to tone things down,without drone in the cab and free flowing for cool EGT's........then bump the fuel.:cool:

you don't have good timing equipment.that combo isn't going to get you anywhere.well.......wait a sec.it will but not without first finding where your at.ok so;
rent Gary's meter.set timing to 6 BTDC with it.then use what you have to take a reading and take a note of it.
next do the same for 8 BTDC and then 10 BTDC.
now,you'll have notes for how your timing tools correlate with Gary's pulse timing and you'll be good to go with your stuff as is for years thereafter.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My equipment is a fox valley induction adapter and luminous probe. It seems to me I tried the exhaust wide open on the downpipe and performed the same . I will try again

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed this thread. I SWEAR I saw you in town and was thoroughly confused at the SD that sounded like an IDI

I have the Snap On timing stuff if you want to bring it over and double check your settings. Also, I second the motion to ditch or hollow out that Cat asap!

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed this thread. I SWEAR I saw you in town and was thoroughly confused at the SD that sounded like an IDI

I have the Snap On timing stuff if you want to bring it over and double check your settings. Also, I second the motion to ditch or hollow out that Cat asap!

That sounds great. I retarded it a hair and pulled off the exhauSt. Egt went down 100 and going up summerlin grade gained 5mph . This is empty

Last edited:

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm tied up with xmas/New Years and family but should be available the first week of the Year. Let's shoot for that if you want to compare timing from my Snap-On setup against yours.

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i gutted the cat, and adjusted the timing to specs I saw online for the Fox Valley trigger.

I adjusted it to the edge of the timing pointer plate and the gun set to 20 degrees offset, which now shows my scribe marks about a 1/16 apart with pump retarded .

It seems to have a little more power but will not know until a climb a hill with the camper installed..

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found that with a fox valley setup, somewhere around 17 degrees when measured to the top of the timing pointer plate seems to work well.

Of course, if your IP is worn, it's more of an adjust-and-test number; get the high end to work nicely and then mess with the timing advance cam to where your low end feels snappy and doesn't clatter too badly.