6.9 -- late S/N vs. early S/N block question

Mad Maxine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi folks--

So, I'm on the hunt for a good rebuildable 6.9 engine, and have been looking exclusively for a late S/N block which I've read is a stronger, beefier block. However, I'm finding that 6.9 engines aren't exactly falling out of the trees.

As I understand it, the later blocks have a heavier webbing up front and a thicker casting around the block heater, is that correct? Are there any other aspects to consider, and are the earlier engines considerably more prone to cracking or failure?

Thanks--as always!
Craig

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I run several early ones. I just don't use the block heater and use an alternative instead such as a lower rad hose heater or whatever. You probably don't even need one in Texas. I think the early ones lacked piston cooler jets also. But regardless, I have put many many trouble free miles on the early blocks without grief.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"not exactly falling out of trees" <_<
Too bad I'm on the other side of the US(up north next to Canada), but ovee here they sure are.
I've got three 6.9s sitting under cover that I picked up for under $200, and at least 4 more available in wrecking yards within an hour of me.

Finding 7.3s on the other hand is harder.

That being said... I wouldn't discount a 7.3 if you had one - cavitation is a thing, but proper coolant(Zerex HD ELC is my go-to) will take care of that.
And the 7.3s have bigger head bolts, which is the weak link once you start adding power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online