6.9 idi knocking sound black smoke

Louis33

Reaction score
So I'm new at this so if I'm doing this wrong please for give me.
So I was driving home from a trip in my 86 6.9 and it started a knocking sound I was going down hill when it started and not much shoulder to get off the road. So I pushed it to a safe area and pulled a grade it had a lot of black smoke more than normal. Had it towed being I had a cap over camper and a trailer on. I have a banks turbo kit was running great pulling strong about 30psi on the oil still starts and runs just knocks bad any ideas

robw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30 psi on an IDI..?

That sounds approximately 2x what the sane max, 33% over ludicrous max boost is.

Black smoke is just extra EGTs.

You may want to pull intake valley pan, rocker covers: inspect pushrods, and lifters.

That's just my understanding, I'm interested what others say.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30 psi on an IDI..?

That sounds approximately 2x what the sane max, 33% over ludicrous max boost is.

Black smoke is just extra EGTs.

You may want to pull intake valley pan, rocker covers: inspect pushrods, and lifters.

That's just my understanding, I'm interested what others say.
I think he meant 30psi oil pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since the knocking and smoke started at the same time, I would rule out the fuel system first. There’s two tests you can do, first is with the engine idling crack open one injection line at a time and see if the noise goes away. Second test is to drive the truck at low speeds and shut the engine of with it in gear. If you still hear the noise it is not a fuel related knock.

Louis33

Reaction score
Yes 30psi oil pressure hopefully getting a chance to look at it tomorrow night thanks guys hoping maybe a bent push rod

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Second test is to drive the truck at low speeds and shut the engine of with it in gear. If you still hear the noise it is not a fuel related knock.
This may not work quite so well if it has an automatic transmission.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crack open each injector line one at a time and see if the noise changes with any of them. I hear a fuel knock in that one. How does blowby look? Oil looks good and doesnt smell like fuel?