6.9 idi front in tank pump

Max Harder

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve got a 83 f250 with a 6.9 idi and I believe my in tank fuel pump is dead. The problem is I can’t find one anywhere online or even the mention of one. It’s got a different plug then any of my gasser 80s trucks so I’m not sure what to do. Anyone else ever have this problem or have any suggestions? Thanks

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't have an in tank pump if your truck came with a diesel from the factory.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the issue you are having that led you to this? We might be able to help if you explain the problem you're having.

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Because the injection pump creates the pressure, the lift pump sucks the diesel out of the tank, and pumps it at low pressure through the fuel filter to the IP. The IP then pressurizes it and sends it to each injector. Thus unlike a fuel injected gasser there is not pump in the tanks of IDI’s.

Some thoughts-
1) The bottom of the pickup often breaks causing one to run out of diesel before the tank is empty.
2) The tank selector valves are now old and failing. So many of us no longer can switch tanks. Some get stuck in between tanks and block the diesel from the lift pump.
3) At some point most experience drain back or air intrusion. That means starting takes 3-7 10 second start cycles to get the diesel lines filled up again.
4) The glow plug system is these trucks often has issues. So if your wait to start light does not come on or does for one second and goes off it can be hard to start the engine especially in cold weather.

Per Chillman88 what symptoms are you having that your truck will not start or run as it should?

Max Harder

Reaction score
It’s definitely got air in the fuel I’ve gone through everything else I can think of and I assumed it had a in tank pump, I guess the plug on top of the tank is just for the fuel gauge so that’s good to know. It’s very hard to get it to start and when I can it only runs for a couple seconds. I know it has air in the fuel but I can’t get it to bleed. I’ve got 5 gallons of fuel into the tank and the selector valve is bypassed I’ve ran it down to only 1 gallon a couple times in the past without issue. I’ll try adding more fuel and see if the pickup is broken like you said.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you happen to have a electric fuel pump handy, you could install it temporarily and confirm that air intrusion is the culprit. A fuel pressure gage is also a nice piece for trouble shooting.

captain720

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine water separator rubber lines had cracks in them allowing air in, have you checked your rubber lines?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
It’s definitely got air in the fuel I’ve gone through everything else I can think of and I assumed it had a in tank pump, I guess the plug on top of the tank is just for the fuel gauge so that’s good to know. It’s very hard to get it to start and when I can it only runs for a couple seconds. I know it has air in the fuel but I can’t get it to bleed. I’ve got 5 gallons of fuel into the tank and the selector valve is bypassed I’ve ran it down to only 1 gallon a couple times in the past without issue. I’ll try adding more fuel and see if the pickup is broken like you said.
I would start with more fuel. You may find it stalls 3-6 times after you get it running. (It takes a little to get the air out.). I usually try to hold it at 1,500rpm so the pump works faster and speeds up getting the air out.

If that does not work a trick some members do is hook a 5 gallon gas tank with a hose to the lift pump. Then see if it runs good. If so they know it’s the lines from the tank pick up to the lift pump. Know the return system is going to send some of the 5 gallons to the onboard fuel tank. (Not back to the gas can) So if the trucks tank is full you could overflow.

If that trick does not work it could be your lift pump is bad. Not sucking fuel in or not creating ~5lbs of pressure at the filter. Could be your fuel filter is plugged up. Could be the IP but less likely.

Air intrusion before the lift pump will not go away and causes no starting, hard starting, and rough running. Generally air intrusion from the return lines only effects the truck when it sits for say +8 hours. The fuel drains back and the pump has to fill the supply lines again to start. Takes a couple start cycles, idles rough or erratic, and then clears up.

Attach some pics and let us know how it goes.

Max Harder

Reaction score
I’ll try running it from a gas can next time I get a chance to work on it. it already has a electric lift pump and I’ve confirmed that it’s working. I haven’t replaced any lines between the tank and lift pump but they looked alright, could just be that I’m not seeing it. I’ll let you guys know how it goes when I’m able to work on it more later this week

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If that does not work a trick some members do is hook a 5 gallon gas tank with a hose to the lift pump. Then see if it runs good. If so they know it’s the lines from the tank pick up to the lift pump. Know the return system is going to send some of the 5 gallons to the onboard fuel tank. (Not back to the gas can) So if the trucks tank is full you could overflow.
To avoid overfilling your tank and to let the engine run longer, you can run a separate line from your return system on the engine back into the fuel can.

Max Harder

Reaction score
Yesterday i ran a hose from the lift pump to a can of diesel. I cracked the injector lines a cranked the motor over for a few seconds, closed the lines up and tried starting it and it fired right up. So I went through and replaced all the rubber fuel lines from the lift pump all the way to the tank except for the return lines (I didn’t have time to do that). It’s running great now! Thanks for the help guys!