6.9 IDI at a loss.

Earl Selinger

Reaction score
So I have an '83 with 6.9, had a similar problem the injector pump was failing and the fuel return check valve was sticking. I would have to remove it and clean it out with a pick and carb cleaner. Had to do this every couple of months (5-10k). It's a small glass ball check valve doesn't take much effort to push the ball in but if it's clogged it can take a while to free it, should be able to look right through the glass ball, if not it needs a good cleaning

JustinC00

Reaction score
Quick question for the advancing timing operation. About how many degrees translates to inches. Like is it 1/16 in for ever half degree or something more dramatic. Thank you

If you do not have a timing meter, degrees will not translate. We use 'dimes thickness/width' as a safe measure of rotational movement of the pump. As IDIBRONCO stated, each pump may have slightly different calibration.

That EXHAUST in the bed will get you problems in Comiefornia
I actually took off that stack before I got the ticket but the smoke both at idle and while going down the road is what tipped him off. Sucks because now i have to take it to a referee to get it checked because he labeled it as a gross polluter. It sucks because I don’t have to smog it. Just frustrating.

danno

Reaction score
Quick little adage I have. Left home this morning and had black smoke, which I’m okay with as it wasn’t much more than a haze, but as soon as I turned left to get where I was going, it turned whitish gray. Any ideas?
It’s possible that there’s mechanical impingement in a fuel line. I’ve seen people run rubber fuel line in some really dumb places. Could be getting pinched by roll in the suspension, or even the steering linkage. I’d trace that first, then suspect the IP wiring.. could be a partially bare wire to one of the two relays on top of the IP that only makes contact or comes loose when you’re turning... odd one though for sure.... GL

JustinC00

Reaction score
Anybody got a quick fix for a leaking high pressure line? I pulled off a couple lines, and now the #2 is leaking where the line seats into the injector ever so slightly but enough to cause a mess at operating rpm(driving) will Teflon tape on the threads help or do I need to buy a new line( which I don’t want to do)

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question for the advancing timing operation. About how many degrees translates to inches. Like is it 1/16 in for ever half degree or something more dramatic. Thank you

If you do not have a timing meter, degrees will not translate. We use 'dimes thickness/width' as a safe measure of rotational movement of the pump. As IDIBRONCO stated, each pump may have slightly different calibration.

That EXHAUST in the bed will get you problems in Comiefornia
Will the staks be an issue if just visiting? I have to go there for family issue for a few days? No emissions where i live.

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stacks wouldn't be an issue unless there's smoke coming out of them.
Mine smokes some if im pulling. I meant since i dont live there would they do much? Id hate for them to impound my truck 800 miles from home over my choice of exhaust. Sounds like op truck wasnt wven smoking too bad. Just wanted to ask ive been out of calif for 10 years.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best move you ever made..
I have been out of there 8 years.
People over there will call into the Bay Area Air Quality Control Board and turn you in if they see an whisp of smoke coming out of your Tail Pipe.
Neighbor turning in Neighbor type thing.

I got a notice in the mail one time, maybe back in 2010. Had a load of treasures I was dragging home from PNP in my Datsun Diesel heading over hwy 17 to Santa Cruz. Some Tree Hugger turned me in. I never noticed much coming out of the Tail Pipe.....
Since I lived in SC County, not much happened, but Iam in the system now.

One of these Electric Vehicles catching fire throws out more smoke than our IDI`s will all year.

When ya go to ****** land, just don`t get on it, drive like an old Geezer, or like you have an egg under your right foot.

It`s going to change here in Nevada as more ******`s move over here.

EDIT: Looks like C-O-M-M-I-E is a bad word?

Goat

Azidiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best move you ever made..
I have been out of there 8 years.
People over there will call into the Bay Area Air Quality Control Board and turn you in if they see an whisp of smoke coming out of your Tail Pipe.
Neighbor turning in Neighbor type thing.

I got a notice in the mail one time, maybe back in 2010. Had a load of treasures I was dragging home from PNP in my Datsun Diesel heading over hwy 17 to Santa Cruz. Some Tree Hugger turned me in. I never noticed much coming out of the Tail Pipe.....
Since I lived in SC County, not much happened, but Iam in the system now.

One of these Electric Vehicles catching fire throws out more smoke than our IDI`s will all year.

When ya go to ****** land, just don`t get on it, drive like an old Geezer, or like you have an egg under your right foot.

It`s going to change here in Nevada as more ******`s move over here.

EDIT: Looks like C-O-M-M-I-E is a bad word?

Goat
Thats my plan, i think they would flip too if the figired out its a gasser swap. A friend whose a state cop here said he didnt think there isnt too much they can really do since its not registered there and not commercial. There isnt even emissions where i live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online