6.9 IDI at a loss.

JustinC00

Reaction score
Here’s a video of what I have going on. If anyone has any idea as to what is going on. I’m at a loss as to where to go from here. Is it a timing issues or too much fuel or what. If I put it in gear it’s just a thicker cloud that is more dark gray and the smoke never stops unless I put my foot into it and let off

Attachments

• 0D3E92C6-C8D4-4BEA-B87F-870AFF17AA4E.jpeg
    0D3E92C6-C8D4-4BEA-B87F-870AFF17AA4E.jpeg
    826.2 KB · Views: 45

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need the back story. Did you just buy this truck? Does it run ok besides the smoke?

JustinC00

Reaction score
Sorry I’ve posted this before lol. Bought the truck about a year ago and I’ve tinkered with it quite a bit. New injectors, new return lines, fuel filter, and turned the fuel down quite a bit. It used to be a thick white cloud that smelled like partially burned diesel. Truck runs like a dream. As far as I know the pump is a new one, as well as the truck has about 98,000 miles. Idk if it’s rolled over or not. But there isn’t any bad knocking or loss of power anywhere within the powerband. The weirdest thing it does right now is if I turn I believe right all the smoke goes to black and it will roll coal as long as I keep that general direction, and sometimes it doesn’t act so finicky, it’s very sporadic when it wants to throw a gray/ white cloud. Installed an egt sensor last week and those are within normal ranges. Also sorry for saying it’s a video, I could only post a pic

JustinC00

Reaction score
Do you guys think maybe a pickup in the tank has a hole in it somewhere. I know the fuel lines up top on the motor are air tight.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
Have you replaced the air filter? Black smoke is from too little air or too much fuel. I would suggest pulling the air filter off to see if it makes a difference, but don't run it long without the filter.

Air intrusion wouldn't cause black smoke like that, but will cause the rpms to surge at idle because there is now more air in the mix.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't think that it would hurt to try advancing the timing a little bit to see what the does. Mark the IP and housing first so that you can put the timing back to where it is now in case it doesn't do anything or makes it worse.

JustinC00

Reaction score
Okay so I replaced the air filter yesterday. Which way is it to advance the timing. As I moved it a bit towards the passenger side and it cleared up the smoke to where it is rn.

JustinC00

Reaction score
Quick little adage I have. Left home this morning and had black smoke, which I’m okay with as it wasn’t much more than a haze, but as soon as I turned left to get where I was going, it turned whitish gray. Any ideas?

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try one more dimes' thickness turning the pump towards the passenger side (you are going in the right direction for advancing). Do not turn pump with engine running!

JustinC00

Reaction score
Quick question for the advancing timing operation. About how many degrees translates to inches. Like is it 1/16 in for ever half degree or something more dramatic. Thank you

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a set amount. I think that each IP would be slightly different. Just like each IP likes a slightly different timing. Some say that theirs runs great at 8*, some say it's 6.5*, others say something different.

JustinC00

Reaction score
Well guys. I got a fix it ticket today for the smoke. I wasn’t even rolling coal. Hopefully I can figure this out soon. If I have any other questions I’ll be sure to come back. Thank you

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quick question for the advancing timing operation. About how many degrees translates to inches. Like is it 1/16 in for ever half degree or something more dramatic. Thank you

If you do not have a timing meter, degrees will not translate. We use 'dimes thickness/width' as a safe measure of rotational movement of the pump. As IDIBRONCO stated, each pump may have slightly different calibration.

That EXHAUST in the bed will get you problems in Comiefornia

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online