6.9 engine teardown

Mreel19

Reaction score
First off let me say thanks for all the information I have found on here that has assisted me in getting as far as I have with my 86. I have read a lot of forums and found most if not all information I need for this project. I bought my truck almost a year ago and so far I've replaced the cooling system, fuel tank selector valve and thank to the previous owner the starter and battery thanks to the aftermarket push button start wires fusing. I made another post when all the trouble started and kinda just parked it and went on with my new job and car I bought out of frustration. Well now I have the motor out and the reason for that is oil pan gasket and a few of my valves are chipped on the top or pitted. I've already purchased the newer style getting away from the saddle rocker arm mount which is why I parked it in the first place. Tang wore off started a tap and then a misfire I'm assuming because the exhaust valve was able to stay open. I'm just here looking for advice on what else I should replace or do while I have it apart and on a budget. Going with arp studs and new gaskets. I'm an aircraft mechanic and this is probably the most I've torn down and engine and first diesel on top of that. Any tips would be appreciated.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Don't use a gasket on the oil pan. It will leak. Just use a bead of RTV. If you haven't done it yet, this would be a good time to reseal the oil cooler. It's a very messy job to remove it with the engine in the truck.

Mreel19

Reaction score
I've thought about that while I have it out I've seen a few threads in here about the orings being hard to find but I think someone posted the part number I'll have to research that. I did buy a pan gasket that's rubber. As I've been tearing it down I can definitely tell it's been worked on before due to rtv on the valley pan and a few other things. Lots of loose bolts. I think I'll go with the rtv like you said only problem is the clearance in my garage I had the pan unbolted already and had to pull the pickup tube to get it out.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
There are a lot of joints in the engine that require only RTV. If you have not seen a rebuild book (some online), try to do some reading, it is very enlightening.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I've thought about that while I have it out I've seen a few threads in here about the orings being hard to find but I think someone posted the part number I'll have to research that. I did buy a pan gasket that's rubber. As I've been tearing it down I can definitely tell it's been worked on before due to rtv on the valley pan and a few other things. Lots of loose bolts. I think I'll go with the rtv like you said only problem is the clearance in my garage I had the pan unbolted already and had to pull the pickup tube to get it out.
There's two types of oil coolers. The earlier ones (I believe) used three o-rings on each end while the later ones used two on each end. The later ones aren't hard to find. It's the earlier ones that are. As for the garage clearance, I'm assuming that you're using a cherry picker to pull the engine out. You can let some air out of the front tires to gain some valuable inches of room./ I've even heard of a guy who would remove the front tires and set the truck down on the front rotors (after the engine is hanging from the cherry picker) in order to pull his 300-6 out of his truck. He did the sane thing to put it back in too.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of using a cork gasket that came with my rebuild kit and sure enough it is starting to weep. Not enough to drip where I park, but enough to continue the oil-undercoating process of the truck. The mechanic in me wants to fix it as a matter of pride, but the tin-basher in me wants to let it leak. I'm so conflicted LOL

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made the mistake of using a cork gasket that came with my rebuild kit and sure enough it is starting to weep. Not enough to drip where I park, but enough to continue the oil-undercoating process of the truck. The mechanic in me wants to fix it as a matter of pride, but the tin-basher in me wants to let it leak. I'm so conflicted LOL
There’s also the part where you have to pull the engine out too!

Mreel19

Reaction score
Right on yeah I'll have to check which cooler it is. I did let air out of my tires to get it out not all the way just enough. The garage has a drop down right where my engine bay is and the driveway slopes way too much to try anything else. Taking the tires off sound like the way to go. Just gotta get the motivation to get out there and put the work in. Oh and the parts