6.9 7.3 oil consumption?

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely unimaginable with how I run WMO.....I think. I run it pretty thick, if I blended a bit more it might clear up and It could be timing on my truck too. The WMO retards your timing, but I actually got a timing device the other day! So I'm going to mess with that in the not too distant future, but still anticipate hazing.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Just remember, if your fuel mix is making smoke it is leaving stuff in the ring lands that will harden and is basically impossible to fix without pulling the engine apart. This I have seen personally a few times, hard white black crud on the ends of the nozzles, and filling up the pre chamber. And causing the rings to stick. THe ones I have seen this on were run on heavy mixes and lightly loaded.

I am not conviced that this engines oil consumption wasnt caused by many years of 50/50 wmo.

Story big blue

Reaction score
Ya I have torn a couple down. I always check/replace/clean/re-route the CDR first. I have never actually remedied a consumption issues with any CDR valve work.
Usually see a broken ring or a few, melted ring lands from excessive EGT. The rings probably break from excess starting fluid use, etc. Valve seals are usually deteriorated which also contributes but I don't think they are the cause of the MAJOR consumption that some of these engines have.
Then I see some engines with extreme high mileage, and been worked hard, but never abused as in run with excessive egts for any length of time, no improper ether use, no 4000rpm gov springs, no turbo, etc, and they are not using much oil at all so the rings/pistons are probably in good shape still.

Also, I rarely see a turbo engine (factory turbo or otherwise) reach really high mileage without burning large amount of oil, or even still running at all. They just don't seem to last when turbo'd. Just sayin...

Im not a high hp guy, and just drive and work them lots. low speed, low expectation in performance, but high expectations in longevity and reliability. And running within their parameters, I achieve that.
I think some engines need standine Fule treatment burns. Off carbon off of piston valves etc to keep compression up working for me not sure of spelling

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep using 15/40 oil as well don’t use synthetic

I use 15/40, but when it get down to freezing and below, it get`s pretty slow to pour. A lighter oil would be best to use or an Oil Pan Heater.

Nothing wrong with Synthetics, I first started using them probably 40 years ago.
But Iam not getting into an oil debate, probably 100 threads on that.

Goat

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, however, when it comes to idling, a diesel is a diesel. I have never had or ran a diesel engine of any kind that didn't puff smoke awhile after idling anymore than 15-20 minutes. I don't get why they wouldn't if you don't have a high idle set. All that unburnt fuel has to go somewhere.
I am old fashioned, everyone knows that I hate shutting down a diesel unless it's necessary, so they see idle time. I have been know to drag someone along with me when running errands for parts, just so I can leave the truck running,lol.
Eventually they get wise though, and I have to find someone else....
Anyway, add some rpms to that idle, it won't wet stack, and will hardly smoke.

Rock

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight anymore, however, when it comes to idling, a diesel is a diesel. I have never had or ran a diesel engine of any kind that didn't puff smoke awhile after idling anymore than 15-20 minutes. I don't get why they wouldn't if you don't have a high idle set. All that unburnt fuel has to go somewhere.
I am old fashioned, everyone knows that I hate shutting down a diesel unless it's necessary, so they see idle time. I have been know to drag someone along with me when running errands for parts, just so I can leave the truck running,lol.
Eventually they get wise though, and I have to find someone else....
Anyway, add some rpms to that idle, it won't wet stack, and will hardly smoke.

Rock
Im the same way lol.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I really have not seen wet stacking to be an issue with these, if they do, or smoke at idle at all, they need injectors or timing is slow.

Had one here today, pushed it in just long enough to change the starter and pushed it back out so that all the snow didnt melt in the shop. Temps last night were -14 by 9:00 and as low as -16. Temp when I pushed it out of the shop was 0 degrees. Started the truck outside, took three tries. I am sure the block was still well below zero. Smoked pretty good for about 10 seconds and then started clearing up. After a couple minutes, no smoke, no stink. The pre chamber does a pretty good job of creating a good fuel burn. I will let it idle an hour before I drive it......bet it doesnt smoke much if any.

If I start any of the DI diesels, I park them away from the shop because of the smoke and stink that just doesnt start to clear up until they are warmed up (which takes atleast twice as long as an idi) The DI stuff, especially the 7.3 ps will start to smoke some pretty much any time you let it idle for a few minutes (in cold temps). And then you get that trail of smoke when you drive off.

Story big blue

Reaction score
I use 15/40, but when it get down to freezing and below, it get`s pretty slow to pour. A lighter oil would be best to use or an Oil Pan Heater.

Nothing wrong with Synthetics, I first started using them probably 40 years ago.
But Iam not getting into an oil debate, probably 100 threads on that.

Goa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online