6.9 -- 7.3 IDI Freeze plug install tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.9 7.3 IDI Freeze plug installer tool.

Finally got a couple of them machined. Anyone still interested to purchase one. The cost is $110 shipped, payable thru Paypal. It will be necessary to contact me by the OB PM (Private Message) to get your correct shipping address and give you my Paypal account. Same or next day Shipping after payment is received.

Shipping will be in a small USPS Priority Mail Box. Approx. weight is 3 lbs.

Due to the fact that my computer crashed, I do not have the names of the previous people that were interested in them.

Picture shows two of them, you only get one.

Attachments

• DVC01773.JPG
    DVC01773.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 70
  • DVC01771.JPG
    DVC01771.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 68

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Looks like really nice machining. This is a must have tool when its needed. I know of very few members that can install our freeze plugs without this tool. This is noplace where you want to make a mistake. We have no way of knowing if the plugs are installed correctly if done free hand. Only removing them wil tell you if they are in correctly and water tite.. A little note to go along with this tool. Always clean out the groove in the block correctly. Then use a quality sealant on the edges of the plug. If you don't I garentee you will have a leak. I didn't use a sealant my second time but I used the tool. I even made up hydro plates to block off all the coolant passages and do an air test to 35 lbs on the cooling system. This is when the block was bare sitting in the bed of my other truck. I tested all the plugs with a leak detecter called Snoop leak detecter. That stuff will find any leak.. None were found after 30 minutes. So I ran with that. Several months later while doing an oil change I see two plugs leaking a very small amount... Damn.. So out comes the engine and remove all the plugs. Install new ones but this time I used permatex avaition cement in the blue and white container. No leaks in 7 years.. BTW use only the factory stainless steel plugs. The after market brass and fakeazz stainless steel will not work. Once again this is no place to take a short cut because you can do it. Buy it right.. Buy it once and install it correctly.. End of trouble... Period...

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so now what is special about this tool that you couldn't do with a socket on an extension? sorry

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
the stainless plugs are a bowl shape, just taping them in wont work. then need to be "dented" in the middle to push the outer lip into the block. I will be sending you a pm mr bull.... this will go nice with my rotunda kit and meter....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so now what is special about this tool that you couldn't do with a socket on an extension? sorry

the proper freeze plug for these motors is a very bellligerent piece of stainless steel that has a convex to it. the socket and the extension will set the freeze plug but will not be able to "dimple" the convex at the right location and more importantly THE RIGHT DEPTH. these blocks do have a tendency to flex when worked hard, so the aftermarket brass ones have a tendency to get spit out of the block when you are working the truck hard.
many have installed the brass ones without problems and have driven many miles with them. this tool is for the ones who want to do the job once and not have to worry about burning down the motor if a plug is ever spit out.

gingrass179

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so does this tool fit the plug tight as far as circumference...just trying to understand what I might be buying

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so does this tool fit the plug tight as far as circumference...just trying to understand what I might be buying

If you look closely at the end of the large diameter of the tool end, you will see that it has a 3.5" radius cut, that fits the convex of the plug, the hammer head part (driver) is machined to set the plug in at a precise depth and expand it by dimpling the center of the plug. To install a plug, the concave face must be inward to the engine, and must have a sealant applied to the freeze plug bore. Do Not try to install a cup plug with this tool.

Tool was machined on a CNC lathe, only a half thousands clearance between driver and barrel.

Last edited:

DWJTX

Reaction score
I know it's been a while but, are these freeze plug installer tools (303-D045) available out there anywhere? I'm new to this forum but have had my 1990 7.3 since it was new and have my first leaking freeze plug at 421,000 miles. It's the one in the front of the passenger side head, behind the fuel filter bracket. I have fixed lots of stuff in 28 years and saw a little antifreeze when I had everything torn down a while back for another reason. Now I have a actual slow leak and want to line up tools & parts so I can get it done. I really appreciate the description of the plug design and how it has to go in that ya'll have on here. Very good advice about using the right tool. Thanks in advance!

gandalf

Reaction score
If you cannot find a freezeplug tool, you could always have a good machinist make one for you. I'm sure it would be borderline expensive, but it would be the right tool for the job. Also, it would be a lot less expensive than a new engine.

Some one long ago published a design drawing. I just tried to upload it, but apparently the image is too large, at 1.72 Mb. I'd be happy to sent it to you as an email attachment.

Jritchie

Reaction score
Is this still available, I would like to buy one, this is my first time on a forum, not sure if I'm doing this rite, @OLDBULL8

Status
Not open for further replies.