6.6L Duramax Reviews and Ratings Help!

TwoBar

Reaction score
Hey all,
Anyone have good reviews for the Duramax Diesels? Are they reliable with little problems? We are looking at buying a 2004 Chevy c4500 with the 6.6L Duramax. The truck has 87k, would this be a wise buy? I am new to the Duramax and hoping these engines provide as little headache as possible.
Any Information would help, Thanks!!

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i can't help you with a site that is specific for the c4500 or 5500 but I can share with you some personal insight.
firstly, the motors are relatively problem free, but when there is a problem, the hourly for the labor is going to be double. there is nothing mechanic friendly about the truck. GM in their infinite wisdom dropped a van body on a truck chassis. Everything is buried on this truck and you have to deal with the access hatches just like a van has and the reachover height like a big truck.
secondly, being a van body, it's not very driver friendly either. I'll take one out on a diagnostic test drive but it will be the last vehicle I will climb into willingly. Drive one for a day and you will see what I am talking about there.
Otherwise, if it is for a company truck that you are going to drive for a while and trade in at the 200k mark, it's fine for that purpose as long as you're not the driver of the truck.