6.5L DB-2 electronic??

Mogman

Reaction score
I run some mechanical 6.2 and 6.5L trucks (Humvee), and the Wife came home the other day with a couple of the "electronic" DB2 type pumps, she has a pretty good eye and said they looked familiar and they were dirt cheap, great wife yes??
Anyway can someone explain what the "electronic" portion is doing? I mean it is still a mechanical pump yes? timing? fuel metering? what??
I did allot of searching and all I can come up with is maybe the DS4 controls the timing

Last edited:

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forums.... Okay, short answer is no, they cannot be converted over to full mechanical, you are better off to re-sell them, and buy a good quality rebuild(with new head and rotor) or if you add a bit more $$$$, a brand new one,, if you so choose a longer more indepth explanation of the DB-2-4 vrs DS4 pumps, we can take some time later on to explain in more detail...J&J

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also, GM Pumps turn the "wrong way" for a Ford/IH IDI. The engines do not turn the same direction.

Mogman

Reaction score
Thanks, I was not thinking of converting, as I said the wife came home with what I now understand are a couple DS4 IPs I was just wondering what the ECM actually controlled on a DS4 as it is still a "mechanical" pump with some electronic lipstick applied, just curious that is all. I tried to do some searches and all I can come up with is it may control injection timing.
I have actually just purchased a 2009 GEP 6.5L with less than 100mi on it and am just fine with it being mechanical, no ambitions to try and hot rod it as they just don't have it in them,

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Something to do with an optical sensor.

20 years ago I knew guys that were swapping the old mechanical pumps onto their 6.5TDs because they were fed up with electronics. If there was a way to run them without electronics, I'm sure that would have been done instead.