6.5 NA Optimizer blue smoke

ba_051

Reaction score
Well I recently installed a 6.5 NA Diesel into my old jeep trick and finally got it fired up after 3 weeks...
It starts right up, but you can feel a very consistent "miss" at idle... The truck bounces a little at idle...
It has true dual exhaust on it and the passenger side just blows a little black smoke on acceleration... Nothing at idle or cruising...
The drivers side however blows very little blue smoke at idle, and belches it under load or even just revving it to 1500 rpm or higher...
When I crack an injector line, there is a very apparent change in how it runs (does it on all 8 injectors)
There is no blowby and I just replaced the glow plugs and injectors (before I swapped it in)
Idle oil pressure is about 70 psi cold and about 25 hot...

What could cause all the blue smoke when just reving it? I'm stumped...

ba_051

Reaction score
I have not messed with timing... It is still at the factory set position... It has less than 5000 miles on it... Wouldn't timing affect both the passenger and drivers side? I'm only having an issue on the drivers side with the smoke...

ba_051

Reaction score
Not new, but very low miles... Was taken from a hmmwv... I personally didn't see it drive, but was told it was a good motor from a running hmmwv...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nobody yanks a running motor out of a humvee for *****-n-giggles. nobody.
if you got a smooth idle and it develops a miss as you revi it up and it gets steadily worse, you have a bad injection pump. unliked the ford who uses a stanadyne injector, Bosch injectors are impossible to kill.

ba_051

Reaction score
It feels like a miss at idle, no white smoke though... No blow by... Just a lot of blue smoke out when it's revved... It seems to run smoother as rpm increases with increased blue smoke... Guess I'll just have to run a leak down test...

I did replace the injectors... They were Bosch and were replaced with Bosch...

ba_051

Reaction score
I ran it about 10 miles to fill up the tank the first time and have got it to operating temp about 5 or 6 times...

Update, I dont have an adapter for the glow plugs to run my compression tester so I pulled the glow plugs one at a time and started it...
#7 lets loose a loud PSSSSST! every compression stroke and it idles really rough and rpm drops...
#5 does the same as with #7
#3 does the same as with #5 and #7
#1, well without the glow plug, the idle stayed the same, it didnt have nearly the PSSSSSST like the other 3 cylinders, but it did a little hiss... SO its #1 that is causing the issues...

Im not getting any puffs out the intake or blow by, so I am assuming the intake valve isnt opening properly... if it was the exhaust not opening, I would get pops out the intake and possible blowby... Unless I am mistaken... And a cracked piston would cause pressure out of the oil fill as well, which there isnt...

Anyone else want to chime in?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I believe you're incorrect on the intake. If you were getting a puff out the intake, you'd have a intake valve sticking open.
But the exhaust side could be giving you issues.
So you have a leak down tester or compression tester?
This is where the leak down tester is better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
It starts right up, but you can feel a very consistent "miss" at idle... The truck bounces a little at idle...
The drivers side however blows very little blue smoke at idle, and belches it under load or even just revving it to 1500 rpm or higher...
When I crack an injector line, there is a very apparent change in how it runs (does it on all 8 injectors)
There is no blowby and I just replaced the glow plugs and injectors (before I swapped it in)

I have not messed with timing... It is still at the factory set position... It has less than 5000 miles on it... Wouldn't timing affect both the passenger and drivers side? I'm only having an issue on the drivers side with the smoke...

Not new, but very low miles... Was taken from a hmmwv... I personally didn't see it drive, but was told it was a good motor from a running hmmwv...

so basically what you're telling us is you have a 6.5 with 5k miles and 10k idle hours?
where'd the injectors come from?
swap all 4 from drivers side to pass side and vise versa to see if it's one of them, one might just be ******* out instead of spraying properly.......

Last edited:

ba_051

Reaction score
I took the injector line off and put a tube on it into a container to eliminate fuel from going into the cylinder and removed the glow plug from cylinder 1... Started it up and no more smoke... I do have a compression tester but it o my goes to 300 psi and I don't have the fitting for the glow plug...

I think the intake is not opening, not stuck open. I had a gas motor about 8 years ago with a bent pushrod on #4 cylinder intake and it had similar issue... Smoked a little at idle and a lot under load... Replaced it and ran it hard and it stopped smoking once it burned everything off...

I got the injectors from rockauto. i swapped them from right to left and smoke stayed on drivers side.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with your diagnosis: sounds intake valve related, either something wrong with a valve spring, pushrod or cam lobe. Moving injectors from one side to the other with no effect kind of rules out being injector related.

Pull the valve cover and take a look at things while it's running if you can.

Good luck