1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6.5 help

Discussion in '6.5L Diesels' started by polksfinest, Jul 31, 2018.

1. polksfinest

polksfinest Registered User

Hello all I built a 6.2 with 18:1 pistons and new 6.5 castings for the heads and I put it in a land rover discovery the problem I am having is it gets hot real fast I mean like 220 hot in about .5 of a mile all of the cooling parts are new and I have the dual thermostat housing with new thermostats I have a new 2 row 1.5 inch tube alum radiator that is the same size as the brass 4 core that I had in another discovery I removed this engine and rebuilt it to install into this land rover and now it is giving me this I also have a vibration that I did not have before the motor has a fluid damper installed and a pete jackson gear drive could the gear drive cause the vibration? as for the over heating thing I was wondering if the timing being off could affect it I also did the rear cross over mod but instead of tying it into the thermo housing I tied it into the top rad hose with a adapter any help would be great thanks

2. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Does it smoke any? How's the power?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

3. polksfinest

polksfinest Registered User

Thanks for the reply I have only driven it once and it was for about half a mile the engine is not broke in yet and as far as smoke it does not smoke when idling but if you give some throttle it gives some black smoke. I was not really able to watch it when I drove it down the road before it got hot I was to busy watching the gauges since it is a new engine. Things I have done since the the first test drive was adjust the low speed Governor to adjust the idle and removed the 195 thermostats and check to see if they work. I don't have a timing probe to set the timing but I have check to see if I was in the ball park by hitting the advance piston. I was wondering if maybe the pump is turned up to much because even thou it is a new rebuilt pump the governor setting was wrong and it idled at 880 which I have now adjusted to 640. The pump is a milspec rebuild with the harden pump elements used in the multifuel engine (I got it when I was in Iraq ). what do you think would be causing the vibration? I also am going to be changing the electric fans from the dual setup to a single 18 fan that I used before. This engine before it was rebuilt was a NA and I had it in the same type of vehicle with a 4 core brass radiator with no problems do you guys have any ideas as to what I should check next? thanks

4. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

I don't think it would jump up that fast if it was just fueling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk