6.0L Straight pipe, what sounds best?

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
I want to straight pipe my new 2003 Ford F-250 6.0L PSD and was wondering what was the best sounding, best deal, and best durability exhaust system out their. What sounds better 4" turbo back duals or a 5" turbo back single? What company has the best stuff? I was thinking MBRP. What do you guys think?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheapest would be to leave it stock and do a muffler delete.

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
Cheapest would be to leave it stock and do a muffler delete.
I should have been more clear. Im willing and plan to spend some money hear (about $700-1000ish). I want a full on straight pipe, no muffler, no cat, from the turbo back.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
There's a few 6.0's running around my area that have an MBPR turbo back systems on and they sound like an F-16 when they spool up.
-Drool-Drool

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
There's a few 6.0's running around my area that have an MBPR turbo back systems on and they sound like an F-16 when they spool up.
-Drool-Drool
Ya thats what ive heard from people and see in videos. Right now I can hear the turbo spool in cab pretty well, but the exhaust note is **** poor for the most part.

Im leaning towards a 5" turbo back from MBRP for about $700 right now. What do you guys think about tips? Tip or no tip?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Gotta have some shiney bling for it.;Sweet
Every time I see those trucks, my windows go down just to her em spool up.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
One other thing to remember, the 03 turbo whistle is MUCH LOUDER than any other year of the 6.0. I know on the completely stock system, in the hills in Kentucky last weekend the sound of the turbo coming back off the rock face was louder than the engine chatter...... this was only on the passenger side though.........

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
One other thing to remember, the 03 turbo whistle is MUCH LOUDER than any other year of the 6.0. I know on the completely stock system, in the hills in Kentucky last weekend the sound of the turbo coming back off the rock face was louder than the engine chatter...... this was only on the passenger side though.........
Haha. Ya thats true! When ever I drive by another vehicle or building/structure I think another diesel trucks going by me because the sound bouncing off is so damn LOUD:thumbsup:!

Thats okay with me though, the louder the better in my opinion;Sweet;Sweet. Why is the 03 so much louder? I drive by the new 6.0L trucks and they seem kinda quiet...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure why the 03 is so much louder. They must have changed something in the turbo, or the exhaust to tune some of the sound out.....

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
Also, does the 5" turbo back from MBRP come with a muffler? Can you get the same kit without the muffler?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Also, does the 5" turbo back from MBRP come with a muffler? Can you get the same kit without the muffler?

From the looks on their site it does but don't see a delete otpion.
Looking further into their muffler design, I don't think it's gonna affect much, but wouldn't take much to delete it tho.:dunno

TorqueDiesel60

Reaction score
From the looks on their site it does but don't see a delete otpion.
Looking further into their muffler design, I don't think it's gonna affect much, but wouldn't take much to delete it tho.:dunno
Ya thats what I figured, an MBRP dealer would probably put it on without the muffler right? Im guessing yes.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MBRP sells a generic muffler delete pipe that works with there systems, at least ive seen them for the Duramax trucks

the 2003 turbos are only different from other trucks is the turbo pedestal, other then that, same turbo, you can retro fit newer turbos to 03 trucks if you change out the pedestal to the new style. the noise must be a truck length thing, or just the fact you sat shotgun, shotgun in these trucks the exhaust is way louder then in the drivers seat for sure