6.0L F350 Any Issues with this engine

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 91 F350 w 7.3 IDI , have loved it. I am looking at getting newer and wanted a 250 , but have come across an 06 Crew Cab 350 with 6.0 and 112,000 on it. I am always skeptical, and I trust my 91 so there would be an adjustment period. I know there were some issues with one of the newer ford diesel engines, but could not remember if it was 6.0 or 6.3? I know my Dad bought a 250 , it is 03 and he specifically was looking for the 7.3 engine when he was looking. Any help is appreciated.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't know much about them, but have looked at a few myself. I researched things then, and don't remember year specifics, but do know I read about the variable vain turbo's having issues as well as head gasket failrues on many of the 6.0's. Others with much more experience will have to chime in on the years this stuff was an issue.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a sweet looking truck and the mileage is not bad for the year. There will be a trust adjustment period. I bought my 91 back in 03 so I have learned to work through the small issues we had and I trust that truck. I would run a CarFax report on it, as I would any vehicle I was serious about. I guess I could google and see what reported problems there are.

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 91 F350 w 7.3 IDI , have loved it. I am looking at getting newer and wanted a 250 , but have come across an 06 Crew Cab 350 with 6.0 and 112,000 on it. I am always skeptical, and I trust my 91 so there would be an adjustment period. I know there were some issues with one of the newer ford diesel engines, but could not remember if it was 6.0 or 6.3? I know my Dad bought a 250 , it is 03 and he specifically was looking for the 7.3 engine when he was looking. Any help is appreciated.

There is no 6.3, I assume you ment 6.0 or 6.4. Both have their fair share of problems, If I had my choice I'd take a 6.0 with egr deleted and a set of ARP head studs with new ford gaskets and drive the crap out of it. 6.0's don't seem to have base engine problems after those issues are taken care of. 6.4's can make serious power with just a tuner though. 6.4 fuel system is a lot more picky of fuel clenliness and water content, fuel leaks can go undetected and washout bearings before you even notice a loss of power. Feel free to ask if you have more questions!

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I meant 6.4 , that happens when you type without enough coffee.... Well, they sold this truck :rolleyes: So I am on the search again, honestly I would rather go to a 250 , my dad has an 03 with 4 wheel drive and that is more what I want.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 6.0 with roughly 140,000 on it. I have owned it for less than six months, since purchasing it I have pretty much gotten to be intamately involved. Let me clear that up! When I got the truck home I figgured the mileage at somewhere around 17mpg. Thats when I started my research on this motor to get better aquainted with it. I read about a egr delete, head stud swap, oil cooler failure, Yata yata yata!!! Truth is if you research any motor you will come up information overload, which will steer you away from all diesels period and you will end up driving a prius. Long story short, My feelings are mixed on this truck (which btw I bought with the money I got from selling my 94 7.3). I went ahead and did an egr delete, cat delete,cold air intake and oil cooler replacement right away as preventitive maintenance, and hopefully increasing mpgs. When complete could not get truck to start at all. Thats when I learned about the High Pressure oil system on these trucks. If your not aware of this let me give you the low down. Basically the oil pressure is what opens and closes the injectors, which means oil changes need to be done on a regular basis ( about every 3000 miles). When replacing the oil cooler, although being extremely careful, I got a slight amount of debris in oil valley, which in turn had damaged the ipr (injection pressure regulator) and would not allow the truck to start. Btw ipr is about 300 bucks. After replacing IPR, by hypothesis, truck ran well and mpgs were increased to around 19-21 mpg. The truck now ran like a dream except one thing. When at lower altitudes for some reason when shut off hot, truck re-started hard. Trottle response was good, turbo spool was amazing, and mpgs stayed consistant, just hard starts. Last monday my wife was about to turn in the drive way when the truck just died. It continues to sit there now as I wait on parts. I suspect it to be a cam position sensor although rare on these 6.0s, but am also replacing IPR, ICP, and debating putting a new High Pressure Oil pump in, as I removed turbo to get to IPR. Not trying to scare you away, as this thing is nice to drive when It runs good, just more less wanted to give you a heads up before your purchase. There is a wealth of information on this motor due to its reputation as being junk, But most problems are created from folks like me who dont have scanners, and just guess what the problem is. So far my diagnostics have been pretty good, but like I said neglect to clean valley pan thoroughly when doing oil cooler is what caused my IPR to fail, and possably my HPOP as well, we'll see!! Get the thing checked out on a scanner from a reputable mechanic that knows these trucks, and keep up on the maintenance.
Hope this helps
God Bless

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I deal with 6.0's everyday. I do egr deletes and run a external oil cooler. Updated standpipes and dummy plugs in every single one of them. Keep the oil clean and stock hp level and they're ok. they have FICM failures, harness issues and fuel injectors that are semi picky about fuel.

The 6.4 is far easier to work on. Job 1 trucks liked to eat radiators due to defective tstats. Full egr delete, delete the throttle plate, dpf and the truck will get GREAT mpg. My friend's tow truck averages 21 unloaded. The cab pulls in just over an hour. Power is incredible. No high pressure oil system to deal with like the 7.3 and 6.0. Just a high pressure fuel system thats very picky about fuel. Very.

If i absolutely had to own a newer diesel, it would be a 6.4 with all the deletes and a spartan 375 tune. My buddy's spartan tuned 6.4 can do a rolling burnout in 4wd. the torqueshift seems to be handling the power nicely.

But i still don't much care for the electronic diesels. I have changed a few high pressure fuel pumps due to the cam gear stripping on the 6.4.

I'm shoving a 5.9 12v cummins in my f550 to replace the dead 6.0.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I deal with 6.0's everyday. I do egr deletes and run a external oil cooler. Updated standpipes and dummy plugs in every single one of them. Keep the oil clean and stock hp level and they're ok. they have FICM failures, harness issues and fuel injectors that are semi picky about fuel.

The 6.4 is far easier to work on. Job 1 trucks liked to eat radiators due to defective tstats. Full egr delete, delete the throttle plate, dpf and the truck will get GREAT mpg. My friend's tow truck averages 21 unloaded. The cab pulls in just over an hour. Power is incredible. No high pressure oil system to deal with like the 7.3 and 6.0. Just a high pressure fuel system thats very picky about fuel. Very.

If i absolutely had to own a newer diesel, it would be a 6.4 with all the deletes and a spartan 375 tune. My buddy's spartan tuned 6.4 can do a rolling burnout in 4wd. the torqueshift seems to be handling the power nicely.

But i still don't much care for the electronic diesels. I have changed a few high pressure fuel pumps due to the cam gear stripping on the 6.4.

I'm shoving a 5.9 12v cummins in my f550 to replace the dead 6.0.

Im trying to get my wife to let me do a 12v swap, as I can get a core for cheap and rebuilding them does not kill your pocket book. I think it would be a pretty reliable family wagon for the long pulls. Ford has the roomiest cabs by far for the little ones, and the seats are pretty comfy. I too am begining to not enjoy electronic diesels. I drive a common rail 03 and pray that nothing goes south on it. $$$$$$:eek: