6.0 seems to better then people say they are?

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey everyone some you may recognize me and roll your eyes, im military and fairly new the diesel world only got about 4 years experience didnt get into them intell the navy and working on turbine engines but not a complete nut job but still 23 yr old so im still a learner. i hoped into cummins world, steped into the duramax page on here and was a prior and commented idi lover i still have the truck in my sig, but she in ford heaven now thanks to commonwealth virginia towing her away while at sea. anyways im rocking a 01 chevy 1500,just broke 218k on all original drivetrain exept the tie rods and related steering and front end comp. but i only drive 5 miles top a day and its stop and go becuase of military and govt. employee traffic so im on hold for my diesel. i get out one year and going back to my old life int he northwest just a higher pay grade:). anyways so far i test droven tons of cummins and duramaxs, some of them modded to up to 600hp most stock exept small stuff like intake exuast and guages. im preplanning my next buy after deployment next year but from what i seen(everything im about to say i seen on receipts and shops/dealer quotas and trouble calls) fords despite the name callings from cummins people and duramaxes ford still hold the torch for being top trucks. maybe not in diesel power mag or that annual top diesel compition where they run no2 and menthane injection and dont work there trucks but for everyday dd and work holic and play truck ford seems to take the bread specially the 6.0. i say this becuase of my real world driving and working on them. when it comes to ford 6.0 it seems all you need to do (if you catch it early enough or if PO done it with proof) is just bulletproof the engine. they can handle more hp/tq without breaking rods and cracking pistons like duramaxes and there tranny dont need beefing up like the "famous" allison or dodges (not saying the aisin trans). i love the sound of the 6.0 i test drove them hualing 10-15k, empty, mudding and driving them like sport cars. i think there faster then cummins and have more guts in the v8 world then duramaxes and think they can out do the cummins thanks to vgt. and they cheaper by a mile! i have some service members on my ship mainly e6 and above and one officer who drives them with over 300k one has over 400k from there civilian life and they have orignal everyhything granted they done every delete and injectors and radiators and ect get replace. but doesnt all that happen with cummins and duramaxes as well? duramaxes engines cant handle 600hp safley there allisons cant. cummins seem to have a injecter problem and there engines are hit or miss now and days. and there trannys are not the best either. so why are people spending 5-20k more sticker price on chevy and dodge when they got upgrade right off the bat for there tranny or engine or both to even handle the full function of a programmer/tuner? where 6.0 just need 3-4k on bulletproofing and after that there internals and drivetrain can both handle 600hp easy? like i said i dont get so im making sure before i buy one that there isnt a big secret out there and that its all just media making these things so cheap to buy and honestly not that expensive to bulletproof....

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
The 6.0 still handily outsold the 5.9 and 6.6 in the 5 years it was available. ;Sweet

Some things I've observed: Never get information from the comments on news articles or YouTube videos. Most of these people are absolute imbeciles who didn't make it through high school and are PROUD OF IT. I see that 90% of the anti-Ford comments come from that demographic. The common thread is that they are largely inarticulate and spout idiotic rumors that have long been proven false.

I've never owned a 6.0, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up if I had the cash to do some of the bullet-proof mods for piece of mind. They make good power and sound really nice. The truck itself is easily the most durable. GM's have independent front axles. Not so great IMO. As far as Dodges? The current generation is pretty decent, although the 6.7 Cummins is a far cry from the reliability of the 5.9. Such a shame really...either a reliable engine in a ****** truck, or a ****** engine in a more reliable truck.

The Torqshift is a good transmission that can handle a lot of abuse. IMO it's ahead of the Allison(Despite what any GM fanboy will tell you). The Allison in the GM trucks is NOT the same Allison that built the reputation that the NAME has. Just like the 'Rancho' shocks on the FX4 Fords ;) .

MPG on any Ford engine seems to be a mixed bag. You'll see somebody get 23 in a 6.0 and 14 in a 7.3 and vise versa. Driving habits, environment, health of the truck, mods, etc. all play a large role in that.

Now...I stereotype. I'm reading between the lines on your paragraph and assuming that you will be throwing on a lift and some 37's. Forget about MPG if you do that. Tires and suspension have a huge impact on any truck's efficiency. It is basic physics. I currently drive a 22 year old F-350. It has 4WD, a crew cab, and a long bed. It has a 351 gas engine in it. My mileage on my last trip was 16 on the freeway doing 85. That's pretty damn good for a 22 year old gas engine. Half of that was with 2 year old gas in the tank. But I sit at stock level and have skinny 235's on steel rims.

EDIT: Also.....I recommend spacing out longer posts into separate paragraphs. It makes for easier reading. ;Sweet

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct. The 6.0's are not as bad as they have been made out to be. I own one, have for 7 years now. It has never left me stranded anywhere. I am still running the factory head gaskets, factory injectors and factory turbo. I have done an EGR Delete, but my cooler had not failed. I had a leak in the supply tube, which leaked externally, into the valley pan. To replace that tube, it is a bit easier to remove the EGR Cooler, and i had decided if I was going to remove the cooler, it wasn't going back on. It now has ~136,000 miles. In that time I've had to replace the waterpump, at which time I did a flush and fill and replaced the belt. Had to have the FICM repaired, and had to replace the alternator (actually several times due to bad replacements). Oil changes at 5000 with only Motorcraft filters, and I have now changed to Delo 5W-40 Synthetic. The 6.0L likes the synthetic better with the HEUI system. It makes for easier starts, and has eliminated the minor stiction issue I had.

One big thing with mine is I do not run a programmer. I am running the Ford stock tune. I believe this has helped more that anything. I do not plan on running a tune. The truck does everything I ask of it the way it is.

I would not hesitate to get another 6.0 and may very well do so in the future.

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct...as mentioned above the 6.0 sold way more than cumaparts and those Japanese diesels. Just look on craigslist and you will be hard pressed to find one under 200k. The factory head bolts are weak and ford knows that cause they have stronger replacement bolts for them when people have a issue. The SCT tuner had a tune for the 6.0 to shut off the egr valve somehow I have heard.... I would put the torqshift tranny against any out there.

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks everyone and 92f350cc i dont plan on that but it gave me a good chuckle lol. i plan on doing that to my yj buggy. sorry for the long paragraphs i think when i wrote this i was worked up becuase the ppl telling me oh this truck is better and what not got me fired up becuase common sense one truck cant do it all, all three are better then one truck in a certain aspect. but like 92f350cc said i would ask them "why to you is ford 6.0 bad?" and wait for them to give me facts.and they say "cummins a true diesiel becuase of it being a inline" chevy ppl back up there allison. or it start turning into biggest **** competition, but i used to work on tugboats that were v-16 with a turbo bigger then the average flat screen tv having more then 2 million miles on it making 5k hp. so i roll my eyes when cummins ppl say its true diesel. but i thank you guys for reading and feedbacks im just getting tired ppl bashing fords. i dont mind a argument but atleast be civilized and have facts not just opinions. hell im even digging the 6.4, been digging into those and they dont seem so bad just need to be carefull of fuel/water seperator system is the biggey.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
thanks everyone and 92f350cc i dont plan on that but it gave me a good chuckle lol. i plan on doing that to my yj buggy. sorry for the long paragraphs i think when i wrote this i was worked up becuase the ppl telling me oh this truck is better and what not got me fired up becuase common sense one truck cant do it all, all three are better then one truck in a certain aspect. but like 92f350cc said i would ask them "why to you is ford 6.0 bad?" and wait for them to give me facts.and they say "cummins a true diesiel becuase of it being a inline" chevy ppl back up there allison. or it start turning into biggest **** competition, but i used to work on tugboats that were v-16 with a turbo bigger then the average flat screen tv having more then 2 million miles on it making 5k hp. so i roll my eyes when cummins ppl say its true diesel. but i thank you guys for reading and feedbacks im just getting tired ppl bashing fords. i dont mind a argument but atleast be civilized and have facts not just opinions. hell im even digging the 6.4, been digging into those and they dont seem so bad just need to be carefull of fuel/water seperator system is the biggey.

The problem is that a younger generation has grown interested in diesels, the immaturity abounds. It's become a fad to be a 'coal-rolling redneck'. A certain part of that is being a cocky ass. They think they know everything there is to know about diesels. Most of their statements can be proven false fairly easily, only they are not there to listen. Things like "Cummins is a real diesel because it's an inline 6". I think Detroit, Navistar, and CAT would beg to differ.

Now, it certainly differs by area, but the different brands tend to attract different types of people as fans(not necessarily all users, but fans). Where I'm from, Ford was most commonly seen as a dressed down work truck. They were everywhere, but they usually weren't owned by the 18-30 demographic, nor were they lifted or chromed out. The younger crowds were usually split between Dodge Rams and 1/2 ton Chevies. The Chevies were most likely to be lifted beyond usefulness, as well as any 3rd gen and new Rams.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My last service truck was an 06 f550. With an IMT service body, crane, compressor, welder and all my tools in it, it scaled out at 21.000 pounds. Shortly after I got it the company had the complete bulletproof kit put on it, headstuds, egr delete, remote oil cooler and an sct programmer. When I first got it two years ago, it had 84k miles and when i got my new one this year it had 174k. It took me all over the western states, pulling my 9k pound travel trailer behind it a lot. In those miles I went through five injectors, three sets of up pipes, one ficm, one set of bulletproof oil cooler hoses, one bulletproof oil cooler thermostat, one water pump, and a week before I moved into my new one it cracked a head. If it were my money fixing it, I'm pretty sure it would have been gone long before the 174k mile mark, but as a field mechanic driving and fixing it but not paying for it....I LOVED it. Ive had six service trucks (94 5.9l, 99 7.3l, 94 idit, 2) 06 6.0l and now a 6.7l powerstroke) and the two six liters were hands down the best. The six liters I had would pull harder throughout the entire rpm range, had better shift points/strategy, and get pretty good mileage doing it (relatively, they all weighed upwards of 18k pounds). I drove the **** outta my last one, CONSTANTLY overloaded and it always performed well, they will definatley give you everything they have to offer. I dont really want one as a personal vehicle, but i wouldnt rule it out either, as long as i could buy it and still afford to bulletproof it.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 6.0 got a bad start that ballooned out of proportion. That added to people trying to hide issues with the motor and not properly fixing it made it a motor lots of people stayed away from. Like said above, if you take care of the initial list of work these engines need (and that list gets shorter the further into the year range these engines were available) and just drive it stock, its a wonderful motor with lots of reliability and power.

Again like above, the younger generation that seems to blow up these motors with over-tuning and driving them like parts are free also seems to have hurt the rep these motors have.

Marketing probably plays a role here as well.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first year of the 6.0(2003) it had over 70 TSBs come out on it from the problems it had so you cant really blame all of it on poor tuning, but they made improvements and as long as the 6.0 has the upgrades on it they are great. Only thing I find hard is getting one that wasn't abused by some kid that wants to smoke out the world of hybrids. I would love to have one myself they sound amazing. I have to admit though my favorite sounding engine is the 7.3 powerstroke

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so much ford love i love it, sorry for not replying sooner. navy life holding me back from personal life but 11 more months i out but best thing i ever done. like 92f350cc said my generation is mesing everything up. im 23 years old and thank god i joined the navy. i hate it and getting out but getting the best training and hook ups for the civilian then average college offers now and days and blame the navy for pulling my head of my ass and making me a man but act like a 6 year old at the same time. but again i blame my generation. i remember back when i got my license common sense applied. out of the big three, people modded there trucks to do the job to A tow more or B last longer. now everyone wants to have the highest hp and still drive daily. in a perfect world proper owner cummins will last longer. just nature of inline engines but after trial and error and learning what a chip to 1000hp do to a man and his truck in a DD i laugh now. i personally a backwoods man. hunting, fishing, horses and building jeeps ground up for trailer queen offroaders. so i personally will never enter the high power diesel world. i stick with my v-16 diesels in tugboats in my old job for that high. now granted i love sled pulling and watching dieselpowermag top diesel annual event maybe one day if i do it it well be truck just for that but not with my DD. my goal is pettersonoffroad ultimate adventure with my yj buggy:). but its practible. jeeps were designed for offroading. and were built for the customer to upgrade it. just this year of fixing upgrading and help bombing diesels while i drive my chevy 5.3 gasser with 218k all original tell deployment i learned the lessons my generation have lost grasps on that is ruining the diesel communty and making all these big changes. 1.) all three do one job better. i wont say what they are in specific dsince everyone treats and experience and believed in there own mind is different 2.) what ever you buy for that intention use it for that intention. if you buy a truck for racing,sled pulling leave it at home or drive it rarely to show it off on rare occasions like hotrodders do in the gasser world. buying a diesel and building it for offroad use? then do it, it will last longer then gassers but dont terrorized the public. i personally found the highest safest hp since i know i will be modifying my diesel after deployment is solid 500hp. thats all i want and need to have fun and be reliable. and it doesnt turn our 300k+ engines into ticking time bombs, it doesnt raise our egts and coolant levels to the point we cant use our trucks for what they were originally designed for. when i get out in the civilian world my truck needs to handle harsh nw weather. tow horses/livestock and tow my toy jeep. trasnfer me, the wife my babygirl and hunting dogs then the trailer or a loaded bed. and be reliable but fun. i wont be racing on highways. or cruise at 75 85mph. im the 55-60 with a dip in my mouth holding my wife hand looking in the rear view mirror making faces at my 15month year old duaghter type of guy myself. so with all that i need a truck do to all that and be reliable. so in my experience non biased seeing real world results like you guys not kids or men being stubborn. ill do what ever bulletproof kits for the ford engine. becuase in the end just for the 500 hp or less (not going higher if i do then ill buy a diesel for that purpose only) for the fords 6.0 to the 6.7 i know ill spend less on the rest of truck then the other two guys. or if i realize that not the 500hp reliable daily is my goal and i get way into the 4x4 world ill stick with another 7.3 and open the intake and exuast and have a huge smile knowing it does everything i want and will last and wait tell the weekend to bash my 4x4. i think i lost where im going. just trying to point out to ever reading is buy what you want for what you need. not want. i want a 1000hp 4x4 diesel that gets awsome mileage and last up to 300k...not going to happen. i need a reliable 4x4 diesel that i can tinker with and have fun with and be reliable and get high teens and twenty when not towing. and not **** off general public...yea ill stick with my fords and common sense

oztinker47

Reaction score
Out of curiousity, do you have to lift the cab of the truck to work on a 6.0 like you have to do with a 6.4?

Sent from my LG-VS410PP using Tapatalk 2

Farmall Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ Not that i am aware of...I have replaced many parts around the turbo as well as new injectors, glow plugs and control modules. Just alot of crap to take off of the top of the engine to get to what you really want to work on.

boostedretard

Reaction score
The first couple of years for the 6.7 were rough but Ford has been hammering the issues out. There have already been a few 6.7s in the 300-400k mile range with minimal issues. They have also pushed built 6.7s past 1500hp. As the price comes down I would love to have a 6.7 someday. All of the 6.0/6.4/6.7 can be 7.3 reliable but they needed to be deleted and tuned/bulletproofed.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first couple of years for the 6.7 were rough but Ford has been hammering the issues out. There have already been a few 6.7s in the 300-400k mile range with minimal issues. They have also pushed built 6.7s past 1500hp. As the price comes down I would love to have a 6.7 someday. All of the 6.0/6.4/6.7 can be 7.3 reliable but they needed to be deleted and tuned/bulletproofed.

All true. Some of them are more difficult than others. 6.0 seems to be, relatively, easy to make right now. And the fact that the 6.7 had some stuff that needed to change is in no way surprising. No amount of testing can account for everything that hundreds of thousands of people in the real world will do to a truck. What we can hope for is that the bones are good (and they are in the 7.3, 6.0, maybe 6.4, and it seems hopefully the 6.7 too). Since ford is sticking with the 6.7 for awhile, hopefully they can get it (or keep it, depending on who you ask) truly reliable from the factory for a high percentage of customers.

In any case, long as you budget to make the 6.0 what it should be, you should be happy.